PDA

View Full Version : Off to Montana...

SteelieD
06-27-2006, 11:53 PM
I leave on Friday for week just outside of Missoula at friends place right on the Clark Fork. I will be spending much time on the CF but am looking at a couple of day trips to some other local waters. (It's a family vacation otherwise I'd be looking a seven day trips! :lol: ) I'm thinking that Rock Creek is a can't miss but there are several to chose from... Bitterroot, Blackfoot, Petty. I am sure there are some experienced Western Montana fisherman here... what do you think?

Harry Massingill
06-29-2006, 10:11 AM
I would recommend the west fork of the bitterroot which is just south of Darby. There is a campground on the river called Rombo or Rambo where there is easy river access. I think it's one of the last campgrounds going up the river road off the main highway. You can fish both upstream and downstream with the best action early morning or especially very late afternoon. The late hatch's are unreal! I caught a big 23" cutthroat just as it was getting dark and hopper patterns worked well in some of the deeper, faster moving pools.

SteelieD
06-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Cool. Thanks Harry. I was thinking the Bitterroot too. I will look for that spot. Hope to have some good reports and photo's to post next week. See ya!