PDA

View Full Version : Spawning Stripers ?

Tony Buzolich
06-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Okey, here's another one about spawning.

Do stripers in lakes spawn?

From what I've seen, they like moving water in the 59-65 degree range.

But what about all those monster fish at San Luis reservoir, or Lake Mendocino, or Camp Far West? Do they spawn?
TONY

Tracy Chimenti
06-28-2006, 08:01 AM
hey Tony, hows it going out on the river. I haven't been on the Feather for about three weeks. I was going to do some fishing this last week, but it was just too hot and I didn't feel like waiting til 10:00 Pm to fish.

Stripers in Camp Far West and New Hogan reportedly spawn from time to time. I've been hearing of stripers still being caught at Camp Far, but I believe they haven't been stocked there for ages. If anyone knows different, please chime in. We used to catch stripers in the upper end of the Bear and Rock Creek in the early 80's on spinnerbaits while fishing for black bass. This was always around submerged willows and creek channels during spring run-off. The fish were usually schoolies and half of them were loaded with eggs/milt.

Tony Buzolich
06-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Hi Tracy,

Boy you hit it right on the head about the heat. I've been getting on the water around 5-5:30AM and usually quit by 8 or 9:00am.

The srtipers are still around though not in the numbers they were a few weeks back. I've been getting up the Yuba and doing good on the shad until this morning. Scored 0 today. Have been seeing stripers in with the shad and I'm they're sure enjoying the feast.

Plenty of salmon farther up river and a few moving over the bar at the mouth of the Yuba.

Seems like with the water drop everybody quite fishing the Feather around town and headed over to the Sac. Lots of guys at the outlet throwing beads already.
TONY

David Lee
06-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Tony -

I recall reading somewhere that Stripers are broadcast spawners - the eggs have to float in the current for something like 72 hours before hatching , any less .... they suffocate .

Stripe does spawn in New Hogan , but I'm not sure about C.F.W. .

David :D