PDA

View Full Version : Stayin Cool

Jay Murakoshi
06-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Since it's been so dang hot the past week in Fresno, I decided to cool off tonight. So after dinner, I drove to the lake which is 10 minutes from my house. I just had to see if the overflow pond was still full and if any carp were swimming in it. The pond is full but no carp.
So, I decided to drive to my honeycove and check it out. BINGO, it was full of carp and they were feeding (mudding) in the shallows. Now, ya gotta remember, ya always carry a rod in the tackle/tool box in the bed of the pick up. But it was still rigged for shad fishing. So remaining cool and not getting excited about what I just saw, I changed to a full floating line, had to add 10' of 8lb flourocarbon using a slim beauty. Now to find a carp fly. No carp flies to be found, so like McGyver, I improvised. I used a red micro shrimp, a fly used for perch fishing.
It took me two cast before I setup on a victim. This thing went scream'n across the cove, through the weeds and into some bushes. Then I saw 8 guys from the other side of the cove come running along the bank towards me yelling something like "stripa, stripa" Could quite understand their english but to my surprise, they started casting in the direction of my fly line. It sort of reminded me the old days on the Smith river, hook a fish and all the bank anglers start throw towards your fish.
After a 15 minute battle I finally had the fish coming to the bank. But I had to wade into the muck to undo my fly line that got tangled in a heavy brush pile. I also had to clear 3 crocodile lures from my fly line. I cut two of them off with a hidden pair of nail clippers in the palm of my hand.
I finally dragged the fish towards the shallows and had to revive him for a few minutes. I would say the fish would of boga'd 13 to 15lbs. I was using my new TFO TiCr X 9' 7wt 4-piece. I was surprised no one wanted to take home the "Golden Stripa"

So now, the pram is loaded in the back of the pickup, the rods are getting rerigged tonight and I"m tying up a few san juan worms for my next adventure. I'm taking my new digital and setting it on a tripod in the pram and hopefully the wide angle will be able to take a photo.
I'll bet the cove is loaded with the same people tomorrow night. Not quite like the baja pull but pretty tough to get these things to eat a fly.

Jay

Darian
06-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Sounds like you had a good time. 8) 8) Quick thinkin' on the fly situation. You might have to dodge a few lures tomorrow night, tho. :lol: :lol: :lol:

David Lee
06-26-2006, 10:27 PM
TWO casts before El-Carpo ate ?!?!?!?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have cast (guessing here ...) probably 4000 to 5000 times for TEN hits - Please , send some stupid ones up Sacramento way - I could use a break on them critters :idea:

David

Dustin Revel
06-26-2006, 10:32 PM
stupid fish or a master at work? :?:

Jay Murakoshi
06-27-2006, 07:57 AM
Dusty,

It's called Lucky Caster and hungry fish.
Are ya back from your trip? Hope everyone had a good time. Now, how about some photo's. I'll give you time to rest

Jay

Flyjunkie
06-27-2006, 09:02 AM
JAY,

The carp are moving around in Westlake.. they are at the Usual Fingers... even "Bug" has made his appearance in the Lake... I think Bug has Put on at least 5 more Pounds..... :shock:

Ken is gonna come fish with me there in October...

The Invite to you still stands... Just not July 20th thru the 28th or August 12th thru the 19th... Trips during those times..... :wink:

Very cool Carpin' action....

DEAN...... 8) 8)