PDA

View Full Version : Advise on Flying with Fly Fishing Gear

FoothillFlyFisher
06-26-2006, 12:07 PM
Planning to fly to Colorado next week, and will be fishing while I'm in Colorado. I've never flown with fishing equipment and was looking for some advise on doing so. Was thinking about shipping my rods and vest's and waders out ahead of me. And, taking my fly boxes (Need to do some tying before I leave) and reels as carry on to the plane. Since I've never flown with my equipment I wanted some adive on doing so. Is it posible to bring fly's on board the plane as carry on, post 9-11? Worried about rough bagage handlers and rod's braking, or things coming up missing. :cry:

Any advise would be appricated. Thanks

Dustin Revel
06-26-2006, 12:50 PM
here's the link to the TSA website's fishing and hunting section. I flew from SAC dallas fortworth to belize city and back again and had to go through the security check points at all of these airports. In my carry on i had reels with lines on them , a camera, and 5 flyboxes with flies up to 4/0.
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1188.xml
somebody recomended that you print this out and carry it with you if there is any problems, but in the end it is up to the airline company.
Dusty Revel

Darian
06-26-2006, 09:15 PM
In addition to the TSA requirements, You need to check your airline's website for their requirements. I'm not sure the restrictions for domestic travel are the same as international but there's been a lot of discussion on this topic on Blanton's BB. You might post this over there as well.

I've been to Mexico, Baja, twice in the last two years and packed my reels in check-in luggage while carrying on my rods (3 piece). With the exception of my luggage being searched at every point, no problems ecountered. TSA didn't fully lock one of my travel locks and lt subsequently feel off, tho.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

monahan100
06-28-2006, 09:50 AM
I have flown a considerable amount (I was formerly a Flight Attendant), and I usually carry a 4 piece rod attacted to a back pack as my carry-on. I keep my vest, reels, and and any other travel necessaties in the back pack and check everything else. I hate waiting for checked baggage, but I hate carrying everthing through airports even more! Have a good trip!