PDA

View Full Version : Putnam's Poopahs Produce on Putah

SullyTM
06-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Took an AM trip up to Putah Creek today at first light. Fished the creek for 4 hours and had some fun. Water visibility was about 3-4 feet with polarized sunglasses and the creek was moving fast. No wind. Alot of bugs.

It turned out to be a Kiene's Fly Swap day. I used flies from a few of the regulars and of course my own. I landed 2 and had several hits and a few on the hook which broke off.

Hairstacker, your Rick's Caddis started the morning off. Got two good tugs on it before I lost it in the trees :oops: I really liked the tungsten head. Threw out a carpet emerger of Darians(from my first swap I believe) No takers! I found a quite stretch of H2O and tied on David Lee's Sacramento Water Bug...Nada I landed a 12-14" rainbow on an #14 olive green poopah I tied. Switched over to a #20 red caddis like thing I tied and after moving to a new location got myself another rainbow. Tied on a jgoding caddis and had a good tap. I was to quick on the set. I finally moved to a very nice stretch of water with no trees to worry about and tied on a MSP Poopah...Boy Howdy! 3 to hook in the span of 10 minutes but I was unable to land one. All 3 were good sized and one took some air before I slipped and lost it...Haven't been to Putah all Summer. Just might have to go back?

BTW...Watch out for rattlesnakes and bring a wading stick if you're fishing Putah.

Hairstacker
06-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Good job Thom, sounds like you had a fun day! Happy to hear that my Rick's Caddis, ahem, was warmly received. :lol:

SullyTM
06-26-2006, 02:54 PM
...Warmly received and wishing I had the nerve to tie another one on! But loosing it in the tress is not how I want to retire the remaining RCs...Small flies are what is recommended, but I'll fish just about anything...Today I had my readers with me so I was able to tie on the #20s

Putah Creek isn't a place I go to often...I'm not skilled enough for it and it gets heavily fished during the summer...I like to go there is the winter...Fly only!

There wasn't anyone else on the creek in the areas I fished so it was quite. I really enjoyed wading...I just have to find the small leak that developed :roll:

BTW...Took out 2 bags of bottles and cans. Cha-Ching!!

MSP
06-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Geez Thom, I just tied those for the swap, I didn't know they really work :shock: Glad to see you got out and got a few. Wish I could!

Good job!