PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Help...

FoothillFlyFisher
06-26-2006, 09:08 AM
Hopefully someone out there can give some advise on Colorado. I'll be in the Boulder, Longmont area next week to visit family, and plan to get some fishing in while I'm there. Can anyone tell me some good spots to try while I'm there. I'm willing to travel at least few hours from Boulder to get into some fish. I know the St. Vrain is close to Longmont and fishes good from the town of Loyns to Rocky Mountain National Park. So if anyone out there has some experance in the area, and an idea on what fly's to take I would really appricate the help. I'll post a report when I return. Thanks

bigtj
06-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Your best bet close to Longmont is the Big Thompson just outside of Loveland. It would be about a 20-45 minute drive depending on where you are going. The fishing is straightforward on a nice stream with lots and lots of 8-12" rainbows and browns with some fish going up to 18 or even 20" on the outside. The fish also like dries, which is a plus. Basically you just take 287 to Loveland then head west on Highway 34. The most popular section - and the biggest fish - are in the short section right below lake Estes. However, the fishing is good pretty much all the way up the canyon. Although tempting, the first few miles of river - the narrows - isn't all that productive. Personally, I live the river best in the section near Drake. You will find numerous pullouts, and on the weekends, lots of company. Be sure to fish early or late this time of year. But there are a lot of fish and it can be great fun. Usually droper-dry, with a couple of caddis (i.e. ec caddis and a lafontaine's pupa) can catch a lot of fish.

Other destinations which I like in Colorado are the William's fork/upper Colorado just downriver from RMNP and the Roaring Fork/Frying pan near Basalt. The best place to get advice on these destinations is from Taylor Creek fly shop in Basalt. These destinations have the possibility for much larger fish than the Big Thompson, often times though I didn't really think it was worth the extra drive, but that was just me.

Another possiblity you probably haven't thought of is SE wyoming. I really like the North Platte near Saratoga, Wyoming. It's abut 2.5 hours from Longmont and a nice place to fish. The best local access is at Treasure Island and Sixmile campground. There is a fly shop in Saratoga that can give you the latest, it changed hands about a year ago do a web search you should find it. When I was looking for "destination" fly fishing when I lived in Loveland, this is the place I usually went to fish.

There are some other small creeks in the vicinity of the Big Thompson you might want to explore. I don't really feel justified spilling the beans on the internet, so all I can say is get a gazetteer and drive around and you will find some nice small stream fishing. You won't find a bunch of big fish but you will find eager small trout in gorgeous surroundings with relative solitude. Just look for the obvious and you will find it.

Have a great trip.

-John

PS you have to be careful about private property in Colorado and Wyoming. It's not like CA or NV where you can wade below the high water. Usually private property is clearly posted. On the upper big thompson if there isn't a house and the water is near the road you're in fair territory. But if you see posts on the river, best to get out and find a different spot. They don't mess around and will prosecute. This is one of the reasons why after living in CO for 3 years I couldn't wait to come back to N. Nevada. The other reason is ... the fishing is a whole lot better here!

FoothillFlyFisher
06-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks, John :)

I'll give the area's you suggested a try. I agree about the North Platte, and the Saratoga Wy. area. I used to spend most of my fall's there hunting and would give my self a few extra day's to fish the N. Platte. The fishing was great in the fall when you'd get the BWO coming off. There wasn't a Fly Shop there in those days, only the local hardware store who carried some local patterns. I'll look them up on the web.

Again. Thanks for the help.