PDA

View Full Version : First shad outing

BillPu
06-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Stopped at Kiene's yesterday to pick up some shad flies and hit Sailor Bar today. Unfortunately, only had one hit and none to hand. What line is recommended for a 7 wt? I had a type 6 shooting head and seemed to snag the bottom constantly. Lost 6 flies and now have to restock at Kiene's :(

Should I use floating line?

Thanks.

Bill

BTW only saw 5 other people fishing. No other fly fisherman.

leo licastro
06-25-2006, 07:13 PM
I have been using a (type 3) 15 foot tip on a skagit set up and a leader around the four foot mark. Good luck Leo Licastro

Darian
06-25-2006, 11:02 PM
Without getting into a technical discussion on this lengthy subject, the designation, "type VI" relates to the sink rate of the head not the line weight in relation to the line. A 7 weight rod could, for example, be lined with a 7 or 8 weight forward line or an 8 or 9 weight shooting head. Each of them could be a type VI line. 8) 8)

If your line is snagging bottom and you're losing flies without catching fish, you need to chnage to a line with a slower sink rate. 8) For Shad, I've used shooting heads and sink-tip lines depending on the flows in the water I'm fishing. I much prefer to fish with a sink-tip line for Shad, tho. 8) 8)

When Shad first appear in the river they're usually down deep. After they've been in for a while, they may be higher up in the water column; especially when spawning. Line your rod accordingly.... 8) 8) 8) 8)

BillPu
06-25-2006, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the info guys. What recommendations would you all have on sink tips? Make and model?

Has anyone used the Rio interchangable tips such as the Dredger?

Darian
06-26-2006, 11:56 AM
I purchased an inter-changeable tip line a couple of years ago and decided that I'm not a fan. :x :x The ovenience of being able to readily change the tip is overcome by the overly thick, main section of line. It takes up too much space on the reel and takes more effort to cast due to the thick diameter of the line. :( :( Besides, what's the difference between changing a shooting head and a tip :?: :?:

Either ashooting head system or an integrated sink tip line is a better choice, IMHO. 8) 8) In answer to your question about sink tips, your choice should be dictated by your needs (....as mentioned in my prior post). If you're fishing deep, choose a fast sink rate. If fishing shallow, choose one with a slower sinkrate or a floater.

If you live in the Sacto area, go to Kiene's or your favortie fly shop and ask them to cast a demo rod/line. You'll be able to evaluate this stuff and meet your needs. :D :D :D

Research is always fun :) :)

timb
06-27-2006, 11:15 PM
I like the cortland 444 SL DF 225. I seem to catch most of my fish on this line despite fishing many different rivers and flows.

Give it a try and fish with confidence!

timb

BigBuddha
06-29-2006, 07:40 PM
I've been using a type IV shooting head this year and picking up a few fish at Sailor Bar. I think the water flow is starting to go down some, but as high as it has been I wouldn't have thought you would have had trouble with the VI.

BillPu
06-29-2006, 09:13 PM
I was at SB last week just left of the point. If my attention wandered for a second, then I would snag.

I've got a type 3 ready to go next week. Will try SB again.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions. Stopped at Kiene's yesterday to stock up on more shad flies. Talked to Bill and ended up leaving with a new 5 wt ( Reddington CPS). Now how the heck did that happen? :roll:

P.S. broke that new rod in today at the local pond. 4 bass, mostly dinks but one 2 pounder all on a yellow popper. :D

leo licastro
06-29-2006, 09:39 PM
I noticed that you live in Elk Grove also and was wondering if you have ever fished for bass in the pond off of laguna blvd. Everytime i drive by that place i am always tempted to give it a try. Leo Licastro

BillPu
06-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Hey Leo,

I have to change my location to West Sacramento. When I lived in Elk Grove I did try Laguna once. No bites but I did see someone catch a 1-2 pound bass there. I think he was a bait guy. Lots of panfish people there so I would imagine that there would be some bass there.

When I fished there, another guy pulled up a went into the pond with his float tube. That would be what I would do if I went there again since there are some nice bass holding tules on the Bond road side of the pond.

Let me know if you have any luck.

Bill

WinterrunRon
07-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Bill,

Perhaps I'm too late to help but I love casting my Teeny 200 7wt. It's a smooth, easy casting line and shoots like a canon out of the rod guides. It's an integrated line so you strip in to the line change, one false cast and you're fly is fishing! No good for shallow water and/or little current but awesome in medium to heavy current with depth of 3' or more. Don't let it dangle at the end of the swing, however, or you will hang up. Keep it in moving water and you're fine. My $.02 worth... Good luck. Ron