PDA

View Full Version : Wet feet in otherwise good waders

FlyBitten
06-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Hi,
I have some Hodgman Wadelite waders that I am generally pleased with. Everything, that is , except that my feet are (and always have been) wet after I am in the stream. Is this normal with all waders? The feet are a neoprene material, while the rest of the waders are 'breathable'.

Other than that, I like 'em.

"...well, other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln...how was the play?"

Al

Darian
06-24-2006, 10:38 PM
Well,.... It seems that every pair of waders has the same problem to one degree or the other. In recent years, leakage hasn't been so much of a problem. :? :?

However, all waders will eventually leak around seams; especially where the foot meets the legging materials. Constant maintenance will delay the onset of this event (by years) but won't entirely eliminate it. Invest in patching material/substance or a kit. A leak can be stopped using the stuff they produce now. 8) 8)

If you're in the Sacramento area, go to Kiene's and get some advice on the best stuff for your needs. 8) 8)

Good luck :D :D :D

Adam Grace
06-24-2006, 11:05 PM
I find that the neoprene doesn't allow your sweaty feet to breathe, the condensation builds up and forms enough moisture to imitate "leaky wet" socks and feet.

FlyBitten
06-25-2006, 07:27 PM
I think it's a definate leak, since it happens almost immediately after I step into the water. Funny part is that both feet have always done it, which makes me think that it's either a manufacturing defect, or 'that's just the way neoprene stockingfoot waders behave'.

I presume those that use the Simms $300-$400 waders don't experience this effect.

Gregg
06-26-2006, 01:16 AM
I use the Simms lightweight waders, $199 I think..., and I beat them severely. They have stood up magnificently, so price definitley isn't the key issue here. I've found that when purchasing equipment for a demanding hobby, like fly fishing, it's best to look into gear generally sold through a reputable retailer. I know some fly shops sell Hodgeman, but you'll see Patagonia and Simms holding the majority of the wall space. This isn't because legit shops make a better margin on these brands (most likely a significantley worse margin), but because they have been tested and have earned the endorsement by quality flyshops. Luckily, technology has trickled down so much recently that these "name brands" don't have to command such a premium for their products. The day I spend $400 on waders better be the day I decide to fish 200+ days a year! :lol: Until then, $199 for a gore-tex stockingfoot wader which is virtually bomb proof sounds like a heck of a deal. Of course the most simple and cost effective way is to patch what you have and fish them until they retire themselves permantly! :D

FlyBitten
06-27-2006, 09:22 PM
No visible holes/tears. Before I get another pair, I think a small investment of some aquaseal to cover the stitching would be a good first step. Will report on the outcome.