PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Fly Fishing

slage
06-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Going to the ''driftless area'' in Southwestern Wisconsin next week. Fishing the Kickapoo, Timber Coulee, Rush and Black rivers, to this point have gained a bunch of knowledge but could use more.
Anyone been up those a-ways and have any info to spare???
Seems pretty self explanitory, easy access, documented hatches but always on the prowl for more.
Driftless comes from the ONLY area in the midwest that didn't get leveled by the last ice age and sustains original topography, including, meandering spring creeks. Beautiful.
Super excited to fish next to holsteins and barns.
Will post, hopfully, some beautiful browns upon conclusion.
I grew up in the area until I was 12, never fished except from a boat in the multitude of lakes and bigger rivers. There are over 600 miles of mentioned streams within a 1/2 hour of where my parents now live.
ugh!!!!

koffler
06-22-2006, 06:15 PM
I am a Wisconsin product as is most of my family - have fished that area numerous times over the years. As you mentioned much of that areas water is spring creek oriented - thus your presentation and bugs must be semi accurate in nature. I've had good luck with the quigley emerger types of flies (to represent a variety of mayflies). For research you should google Gary Borger as he is a Wisconsin product and is a Univ. of Wisconsin Madison grad and is Emeritus of the Biology/Aquatic insect area of studies. His website used to have some great insights into the waters around the Wisconsin area. Good luck-

Gregg Machel
06-23-2006, 12:51 AM
I can't help you out with the fly fishing there, but I had to chime in on this topic. I too am a product of Wisconsin. I spent my first 19 years there and grew up in Wausau. Used to fish Lake Wausau and the Rib River, but only conventional. Mostly northern and panfish, with a few perch here and there. Typical. I used to fish up in Rhinelander too on Boom Lake.

Your making me homesick now!

mems
06-23-2006, 05:23 AM
Leinenkugel's!

Darian
06-23-2006, 07:37 AM
Kikapoo Joy Juice, too...!!!! Remember "Lil Abner" :?: :?: 8) 8) 8) 8)

john
06-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Leinies will moisten my lips in about 2 hours. On the driftless area question try the wisconsin flyfishing page. The site has had some crash issues, but is the best source of wi ff trouting. Just don't expect "where-to" specifics. Asking for that is akin to bait fishing to those guys. They will however send private messages with info. If you're in the market for a guide try Len Harris a/k/a Trout Hunter. He's out of Richland Center. I've fished with Len, and while he's no flyrodder, he is a finder of fish with access to a number of otherwise closed streams. Finally, if you want the WHOLE driftless story, send an e-mail to Duke Welter at jwelter@amerirech.net. Duke a fishing buddy and is TU's coordinator for the driftless project.