PDA

View Full Version : New Hogan questions....

Fuzz
06-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Hi guys,
I need help for my first fly outing. Going for stripers at New Hogan in my dad's 14' aluminum boat. I don't even know how to cast properly but I think my dad knows enough. I bought a 9' 8wt medium fast cheap SA fly rod and a size 3 Ross Flywater reel. (My daughter's in college = no $ !) We've never been to New Hogan but we're going to try fly casting the striper boils. This website suggests using 2.5" #2 - 1/0 shad imitations. I plan on stopping at Kiene's on my way up from central Cal on Sunday. Exactly what flies do I ask for? Also, I need line, backing, and leaders. Do I need surface line or sink line? Is there a line that works good in both cold and hot weather? I can only afford one line so it has to handle the current hot conditions. What's the best backing? Also, what's the limit and where do I launch my boat? Thanks for your help!.... you guys are the greatest.

Fuzz

flygolf
06-21-2006, 09:41 PM
I've never fished New Hogan but I don't think you would go wrong with clouser minnows for flies, 20 lb. dacron backing and for a line I would go with the new SA custom cut integrated head it's cheap and I think it's one of the best lines out there for stripers. If you go to Kienes (and I highly recommend you do) they will set you up without trying to sell you the most expensive outfit. As for your other questions someone else I'm sure will chime in. Good luck, and make sure you post after your trip.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-21-2006, 11:04 PM
The warm months are best on New Hogan for Stripers on top....go figure?

July/August/Sept is the prime time.

You need a boat with a motor so you can get around the lake.

We use an 8 weight rod with a tropical WF9F or WF10F.

You can use a sinking line but we enjoy casting to the working fish.

You could use a 9' 0x leader or tie somehting up.

We use a non-slip loop knot to the fly.

You need a Threafin Shad imitation. maybe 3" and sparce.

Our friend Dan Williams goes there in the afternoon and sets up a tent. He fishes that afternoon/evening till dark and then overnights and gets up and hit them in the morning till noon and goes home.

Andy will be there on Sunday and he can help you.

Darian
06-22-2006, 08:31 AM
The most important bit of info you've provided concerns you and your fathers casting ability....

With respect, if you intend to cast to boiling fish from a boat with a partner, you should be a fairly decent caster, already. 8) 8) You should be able to cast well enough to avoid hitting your partner and reach the fish. Otherwise, a heavy fly in close quarters can be very dangerous to your partner/yourself. My vote is to visit Kiene's, get your outfit set up and schedule a casting lesson or two. 8) 8)

If you still feel that you want to pursue Stripers, I would recommend you avoid any heavy flies (e.g. Clousers or other weighted flies) until you become a proficient caster. Try something like a Shad colored siliclone.... Remember to clamp your barbs down. Digging a big fly with a large barb out of your hide is a treat you won't soon forget. :shock: :shock: :lol:

Charlie Gonzales
06-22-2006, 01:21 PM
casting is going to be your biggest obstacle. In my experience there the boils dont last long in one spot and are boat shy. Try not to run up on them quick and stay on the outside edges. Same with your cast, dont cast into the middle of them but the edge or the fish will go down quick. If and when you put them down, stay in that area, usually they will reapear after a few minutes. This is probably some of the toughest striper fishing around.

Fuzz
06-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the help! We're actually not getting to New Hogan until probably Tuesday so if Kiene's sets me up my dad can give me casting lessons. He lives near the lake at Lake of the Pines. If the quality of the line makes a big difference in casting ability, and I would assume it does, I'm willing to spend what it takes in that department but my inexpensive rod might be a factor too. The custom cut SA sounds good. Lee Haskin, in an earlier email to me when I was buying an 8 wt. fly outfit as a gift, recommended Rio Clouser 9wt for stripers at SLR for casting surface flies like gurglers. Is that suitable for these shad imitations? Does that come in a "tropical" variety or is that good for both hot and cold? Would custom cut SA or a cheaper line work as well? I hate to ask so many questions but I wanted to arrive at Kiene's already knowing exactly what to ask for, even down to what hook size, color, and stripping technique I use with these shad imitations. I do plan to take a casting class and Jeff Putnams Striper class down the road. Thanks again!!!

Fuzz

Darian
06-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Hmmmm,.... You may be putting the cart before the horse, so to speak. :? :? If you know exactly what to ask for, why go to Kiene's for advice :?: :?:

I'd wait until you get to Kiene's, let them put a line on a reel to cast on your rod. That way you'll be able to select a line that is suited for you and your rod. I imgine thatyou could receive about 30 opinions, each differing from the other, about which line would be best for you thru this board. However, you're only going to find that out thru experience or lessons. 8) 8)

Good luck :D :D :D

Fuzz
06-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Hi Darian,
You mean Kiene's will put a line on your rod and let you try it and if its not performing right you can try something else? I didn't know you had that option. That being the case I will definitely bring rod and reel in and have somebody work through it with me. I guess I was concerned because some shops don't have their "A" team on duty on Sundays and I wondered about the advice I might get. I appreciate your help. I consider myself a very proficient hardware fisherman and I like to give as much helpful advice as I can...especially to young kids. Its been a long time since I was this new at something related to fishing. Oh well....its fun to learn new stuff!

Fuzz

nightgoat
06-22-2006, 09:40 PM
Hey Fuzz, welcome to the board. Bill says Andy will be in the shop on Sunday and I can't think of a better guy to ask about striper fishing 8) Honestly, I don't think Kiene's has a "B" team. I have never gotten bad info there, which I can't say about every shop I've been to. Good luck with the fishing and let us know how you do.