PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand in progress report

Langenbeck
06-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Arrived on Tuesday. Tuesday night caught a 4 pound rainbow and on Wednesday had a tough day with only one 5-6 pound fish hooked. This AM landed both a 7 and a 9 pound rainbow.

Yesterday spent some time with the local Fish & Game boys and went to a trap on the Ngongtatha Stream where they had two browns-one of 8 pounds and the other pushing 12. Will have pictures when I return.

Langenbeck
06-22-2006, 02:53 PM
This AM actually quit after an hour with 33 degree temperatures and 40 mph winds. Even too cold for me. Last night at Lake Tarawera caught and released rainbows of 3, 5 and 7 pounds. Did not know that fresh water eels existed in Lake Tarawera but yesterday and 33 pound eel was caught. Guess I should watch where I wade in the dark.

Tracy Chimenti
06-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Hey Gordon, those eels make nice pets! I know a guy over there that has them in a back yard pond. He feeds them bacon from his mouth. They just rear up, stick their head out of the water and eat it. They're like a bunch of hungry chickens.

Tracy

Katz
06-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Anybody have a picture of one of these eels?

Katz

Tracy Chimenti
06-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Just do a search on it on the net-- Eels of NZ. They're a kick!

Langenbeck
06-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Last night hooked 3 fish and landed two of 27" and 29". Using a condition factor of 52 the smaller fish would be 10 pound 4 ounces and the big one would be 12 pounds 10 ounces. This is my largest resident trout ever. Got some excellent pictures before I released them. Will post them on my return
Went back this AM and got ZIP. Here you have to put in the time but the rewards are BIG.

Adam Grace
06-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Congratulations Gordon!

Tracy Chimenti
07-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Bravo! Bravo!

Funny, we don't have fish like that at my dump!

Gordon, have you ever fished any of the rivers via raft? I recall seeing a lot of "inaccessable gorges" on both islands with mostly flat water. Many of these are along the roadways. It's always been my thought that the next time I go, I would buy an 8-man raft and take a drift every morning or evening where applicable.

Tracy

Langenbeck
07-09-2006, 11:01 AM
Years ago floated the Tongariro River Gorge above the town of Turangi with Joe Shirshac. Some Class IV rapids. It was an excelllent experience, caught some very nice fish to 7.5 pounds including a large brown. Also got to see some Blue Ducks which are native to New Zealand and very rare.