PDA

View Full Version : Another report from Sandmound

Richard
06-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Another Tuesday at Sandmound. Again mostly small ones 1 to 2 pounds but quite a few of those. I thought after a while that I wasn't going to get a "picture" fish, but I did finally get one. Four and a half pounds :D picture below. It's kind of lonely out there. I didn't see another person fishing the entire time I was out there. It sure will be fun (if the fishing stays good) when we all get together in July.

Next week with the high tide I'm going to try Little Frank's Tract which is up the other direction. Wish me luck.

http://www.usfca.edu/fac-staff/davisr/D6-20web.jpg

fishbonz
06-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Where is this? I looked at a delta map and can't find it. I'd love to find a safe place to bass fish on flies, with less boat traffic. I'd go in a kick boat....

ced.

Richard
06-20-2006, 05:55 PM
As long as you stay at the very end of the slough you should be safe in a kick boat. But there is a water inlet at the end of the slough and the water moves pretty fast in that area. I have never driven there, but from the map I have it looks like you take Cypress like you were going to Bethel Island. But instead of turning left at the stop sign (non working traffic signal) to go on Bethel Island Road go straight to the end of Cypress at Sandmound Road and then turn right. Go as far as you can. They are building some new houses there and you should be able to put in at or near the end of the slough.

If you are fishing topwater the better fishing is on the side of the slough across from the new houses and right from there. If you are fishing subservice it's probably in the middle of the slough. At low tide it's only about 5 or 6 feet deep in that area even in the middle. The weeds are right under the surface so be VERY careful, it would be really easy to get tangled up.

fishbonz
06-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks! I found it on my map, based on your directions. Thank you for the suggestion. Also, thanks for the tips. It appears the south end has a "dam" with some flow into there?

since it runs South to north, it appears that you can be fairly well protected from the wind there, even when strong. Have you noticed that?

ced.

fishbonz
06-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Thanks! I found it on my map, based on your directions. Thank you for the suggestion. Also, thanks for the tips. It appears the south end has a "dam" with some flow into there?

since it runs South to north, it appears that you can be fairly well protected from the wind there, even when strong. Have you noticed that?

ced.

Richard
06-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Yes, winds are seldom a problem, at least in the morning. The slough does dead end and the inlet seems to always be flowing into the slough (and pretty strongly) regardless of the direction of the tide. Of course I'm not there all the time, so this observation is from a limited sample.

Hairstacker
06-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Richard, NICE bass! I can see why you spend a lot of time in that area. 8)