PDA

View Full Version : Why is no one fishing the American?

andanb
06-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Maybe I'm just fishing the wrong place :idea: , but I'm not seeing anyone fishing for shad. The last two trips out I've maybe seen 2 others out fishing. The fish seem to be consistantly in the river in the usual places. Granted you need a boat for the most part this year to get to the good holding areas. I haven't had any great nights but usually between 6-10 each evening with many hens in the mix. Last night I also had one small stripper. The fishing seems to be late afternoon 5:30 - dark. I haven't had any awesome days but it has been steady. :)

Jeff C.
06-20-2006, 11:15 AM
I've been going out on the American pretty regularly (20 days in the last 4 weeks) and have caught about 90-100 shad. The best day I had was when I got 13 (9 of which in the last hour of light). My arm's getting tired from slinging a shooting head and I'm getting sleep deprived staying out until dark every night. I guess I'll head up to Sierras this weekend to beat the heat and get into some wild trout, but I'll be back out chasing shad during the work week until the run is over. Jeff C.

Hewie
06-20-2006, 02:25 PM
The water level's been keeping me from shad'n so far, but I'm planning on tomorrow after work. I was planning on going to the island at Sailor Bar or Lower Sunrise. Any suggestions on locations for a wading newbie?
Thanks,
Dave

Jeff C.
06-20-2006, 02:52 PM
I went out to Lower Sunrise only once when the flow dropped to 5000 for Memorial Day and got skunked. I haven't seen anyone people fly fishing there when I pass by every day but who knows, they might be holding there. There's been a lot of spin bobber guys lined up on the North bank but I don't know how they've been doing. I've fished the bottom of the island at Lower Sailor Bar a couple of times but have only caught a few there (one was a big hen). I've heard that Roosmore has been good but caught one in a couple of outtings there. Good Luck!

Tony Buzolich
06-20-2006, 05:43 PM
If they're not fishing the American it's because they're all up here fishing the Yuba.

Yesterday morning it was a non-stop shuttle of jet boats and groups of guys heading up the Yuba. I would see the same guide taking four people at a time up and then returning empty. He'd then pick up another four, head up, and return empty. This went on and on with several boats.

I'm sure these are fly clubs that are getting up to Deguerre or above Hallwood and then later being picked up at days end.

Seems like the shad are everywhere in the system. The Feather has them piled up above and below Shanghai Bend, Vance and Palm Aves., and Palermo.
TONY