PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any info on Siskiyou County streams?

Alastair
06-18-2006, 11:51 PM
Hi everyone, I am going up this Thursday for a 4 day trip to Siskiyou County. I would like any tips on where to go so I won't waste too much time. I am real curious about the McCloud River, around the Ah-Di-Na area. Is it accessible with a 2 wheel drive Tundra? I have heard horror stories about that road.
What about Hat Creek? It looks real nice on the internet, but I've never been there. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-19-2006, 11:07 AM
Call the Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir for the Upper Sac and McCloud.

530 235-2969

Call the Trout Country fly shop in Burney for Hat Creek and the Pit River.

530-335-5304

Alastair
06-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks Bill, I will do that.

SteelieD
06-19-2006, 01:52 PM
The Upper Sac is great. Very accessible, though I believe I read somewhere that the flows were still pretty high. I checked in at Ted Fay as Bill suggested, it's good advise. Good luck!

BigBuddha
06-19-2006, 05:50 PM
I used to fish up there quite a bit. Ah-Di-Na Campground is a nice camping site and you can access it with 2 wheel drive although the road is rough. The wading on the McCloud is tough due to big rocks so be carefull and it is advisable to use a staff. You can fish the Upper Sac right below the Siskiyou Lake at Cantera Loop and either go downstream towards the railroad track or up toward the damn. Very good dry fly fishing in that area. You can also fish the upper Sac above Lake Siskiyou, but the stream is pretty narrow there and it would be good to have maybe a 7 foot 3 wt. or something to work in a small environment. Just past Shasta City you can fish warm water species in Lake Shastina. There are also a bunch of small lakes including including one called Gumboot which was always my favorite. It is beautiful there and you will have a great time.

Frank Alessio
06-20-2006, 09:16 AM
You may want to try Ash Camp on the McCloud but with flows down to 1200cfs from what they have been on the Upper Sac you may do well there......Frank

bigtj
06-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Horror stories? Must be from city folk that aren't used to driving a dirt road.The road to Ah-di-nah is fine for a 2wd, I know a lot of folks who do it in sedans like Honda Accords. Figure 45 minutes from McCloud to Ah-di-nah. A 2wd Tundra will eat that road up like it's nothing. Just go slow so you don't crack your oil pan. And it's real dusty at time so keep the air on. Make sure your spare has air in it too in case you get a flat. Flows are good down there now. It's worth a shot. You will enjoy it.

Alastair
06-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear. Ah-Di-Na it is! I will post a report when I get back. Thanks to all who replied.

AndreD
06-23-2006, 09:20 PM
make sure your spare tire is in good shape. I had a blow out on the road due to a piece of rock that sliced through my treads at the base. Wasn't too fun changing it since I was on a decline in the road and it was a hot one. I also carry a can of air just in case.