PDA

View Full Version : North Island of New Zealand

Langenbeck
06-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Depart tomorrow for my 19th trip to the North Island to fish the lakes around Rotorua. Will try to give in progess reports via Internet cafes while there and follow up with plently of pictures on my return on 5 July. Here is an eight pound rainbow from Rotoiti from last June. With three mild winters in a row there are some big fish being taken so far this May & June. Last week a 13 pound 10 ounce rainbow came out of Lake Rotoiti. This is all wade fishing at night with a lumo smelt imitation.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/gordonl/NZGordonwith8Rainbow.jpg

Hairstacker
06-17-2006, 07:55 PM
Good luck Gordon, hope you have a GREAT trip!! Can't wait to see the pics!

Tracy Chimenti
06-19-2006, 07:15 AM
Sounds like perfect late fall conditions over there right now, Gordon. I'm going back in a few years. Have a great time! can't wait to see thei pics.

Tracy

Katz
06-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Amazing how much those fish look like our local steelhead :) :)

Katz

Tracy Chimenti
06-19-2006, 11:53 AM
When you say "our", I assume you live on on near Sonoma Creek!

Katz
06-19-2006, 12:11 PM
I actually catch the ones in the Feather river and American, but as far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong) the stock for New Zeland all came from the Russian and Sonoma Creek, correct?

Katz

Tracy Chimenti
06-19-2006, 03:04 PM
I picked up a fish biology report at UC Davis library once-- it's that big outfit of geneticists, biologists, etc. that Moyle belongs to-- can't remember the name though. Anyway, it tells the entire story of AV Lamotte's hatchery on Sonoma Creek that supplied the original stocks of rainbows to New Zealand. The publication said the Russian was falsely believed to be the home of the original eggs, due to the fact LaMotte also had a hatchery there. Pretty interesting reactions when you show it to someone from Sonoma who's fished in NZ!

Tracy

Katz
06-19-2006, 03:20 PM
That is funny! :D

Halfway around the world to catch a fish from your backyard?

Katz