PDA

View Full Version : Stumpy Meadow Lake

SullyTM
06-16-2006, 07:50 AM
I came across Stumpy Meadow Lake/Reservoir located between Highway 50 and 80 up by Auburn. Does anyone have some knowledge to share? Is shoreline fishing possible? I've heard that it is a jet-skier lake in the summertime? Thank you. Thom

Darian
06-16-2006, 08:09 AM
Hi Thom,....Haven't fished thi lake in many years.... Stumpy Meadows used to be fairly good place to go (before the population boom and the advent of personal water craft) in the spring. In cold/wet years, the road would be blocked by low snow levels (not now, tho). It was a pretty setting and the fishing was fair for stocked fish. Probably some carry-over's from prior years stocking.

Maybe someone can chime in here with more current info :?: :?: :D :D

aaron
06-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Theres a 10mph speed limit so no personal watercraft to worry about. Most of the fish congregate near the dam and the inlet at the rear of the lake.

SullyTM
06-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks fells...

Aaron, is shoreline fishing, especially on the fly, worth it, or do you need a boat, float tube etc.?

Thanks. Thom

aaron
06-16-2006, 03:08 PM
shoreline fishing is kind of tough, a float tube would be a real advantage. fishing along the dam and inlet at the top should be productive. theres some nice browns that patrol near the boat ramp waiting for planters.
good luck
-aaron

Ed Wahl
06-17-2006, 05:52 AM
I was up there two weeks ago, fished it on my way out in the evening. I was in a pram and saw a lot of big trout heads taking midges from in the surface film. Had one grab and come off but that was it. The fly box I needed was at home on the counter. :oops: The creeks up there are getting just about perfect. Water temp seems to be the big issue, very few fish early then after the sun hits the water it picks up all day then slows to nothing right at dark. You can feel the difference in water temp on your feet while you wade.

aaron
06-17-2006, 10:37 AM
hey ed have you ever fished the creek that feeds into stumpy?

Ed Wahl
06-27-2006, 06:53 AM
Yeah, but it was a long time ago. Couldn't find any fish and never tried after that. I have found an access to it upstream a few miles up the road, I was quail hunting at the time, but never got back to check it out. Too many places to fish and not enough time to get to them all.

WinterrunRon
07-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Stumpy is a very nice spot, not too big, not too small. No need to venture far from the dam or adjacent cove, the fish are right there. Careful with your releases if you venture out to the middle, a released fish not well revived that lingers near the surface is a sure meal for a bald eagle that lives there. I'm talking from personal experience and have a awesome picture to show if I knew how to post them. One of the neatest things I've ever seen fishing. Ron