PDA

View Full Version : Truckee River

bolden
06-15-2006, 06:03 PM
I hit the Truckee River and Little Truckee River yesterday. I started off on the Little Truckee around noon. I was
throwing a size 8 golden stimulator with a beadhead birds nest off the end. I expected to catch the fish on the
nymph, but i ended up getting four strikes on the stimulator. I landed two, an 18" and a 14".

At around four i left to fish the main Truckee. I was fishing streamers, jj special, double bunnies, and crayfish pattern,
and i had quite a few strikes. In all, i counted ten fish that either hit the fly or followed it till they spooked from me.
Two of those fish were browns at least 24". One chased it and boiled on the fly, and the other i had on for about a
second. Although i had a lot of looks, i only landed one, and it was the smallest fish, a 10" brown.

I could have fished dries and caught some fish, but they were the smaller fish. Right about when it got dark is when
the fish started rising, not that often though.

It was a good day, but all of the fish that got away have stuck in my mind, especially those big browns. Luckily,
those will be forgetten, because i leave for Montana sunday.

Here are some pics of the first 18" rainbow on the little truckee.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/bolden916/DSC_0039Small.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/bolden916/DSC_0040Small.jpg

David Lee
06-15-2006, 06:31 PM
LORDY !!

Nice Rainbow !!!!!!!

David =D>

Clayton
06-15-2006, 07:57 PM
what size leader and tippet do you use on the little truckee. And what are some popular flys. Im leaving tomorow morning and i'll be up there for the weekend and would like to fish it.
thanks.

bolden
06-15-2006, 08:09 PM
I was using 5x tippet with the size 8 golden stimulator. The dropper was also on 5x. I did not see many bugs, and there were no fish working. I do not fish the little truckee that often, so i can't tell you much more. If you decide to fish the main truckee river, throw some big streamers on big tippet. Strip fast.

The flows just went up to 350 on the little truckee, so maybe nymphs will be working better.

Langenbeck
06-15-2006, 09:41 PM
Bolden,

Always like your posts and pictures. Your close up picture of the rainbow is professional quality. Good luck in Montana.

Hairstacker
06-15-2006, 10:51 PM
Gordon, I agree, that is an awesome picture! Not a bad trout either. 8)

Clayton
06-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Thanks alot bolden I'll let you all know how I did when I come back.