PDA

View Full Version : Davis Lake

Don Rotsma
06-14-2006, 07:40 PM
Damsels are starting to midgrate again after a few days of cold and rainy weather. More and more fish are starting to work on the nymphs near the surface, but nothing like normal. With the expected higher temps this weekend, things should get going a little better. Most areas along the west side from Jenkins north are producing fish. Don't expect large numbers, but fishing is becoming more consistent. don

Rick J
06-15-2006, 06:54 AM
I'm there - only if you promise to bring both dogs in the boat to make it more challenging casting!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-15-2006, 08:54 AM
I wish I could go with you Rick but these fly fishermen are driving me crazy at the shop.

Then I could "hog" cast you.

I think you need a handicap anyway.

I think this will be the weekend for Davis Lake on the damsel hatch.

It is very big and will accommodate many fly fishers.

Rick J
06-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Bill - I don't think I want you in the boat - seems last time you caught most of the fish!!! You really are kinda a hog caster!! :P

jayclarkflyfishing
06-17-2006, 07:57 AM
I fished at Jenkins yesterday afternoon.Only hooked one fish and was promptly broken off after the fish took me into some weeds.I was fishing a red brassie 11' under an indicator.The amazing thing was I was floating over where I was parking 2 years ago.I didn't see many damsels but there were a lot of blood midges coming off.I did get my liscence checked by a game warden for the third time in as many trips!Jay

Rick J
06-20-2006, 06:44 AM
Got out Friday evening and few fish working and fewer blood midges! There were huge swarms of a very tiny mayfly - looking out to the horizon you could see clouds of them hovering above the water up maybe 200 feet into the sky - very cool to watch!

Out Sat by 8 and there were a few fish cruising - managed one grab by 9:30 and a guy came rowing over into the pod of fish we were working and said - "I have a favor to ask! My motor broke down and I would like a tow!" Don, being a much nicer individual than me said ok. I said drop me on the bank - so off he went and I managed to hook two fish close to 20" very close into the bank. Did not see lots of damsels but they were crawling on me so there were some around and the birds were kinda active on the banks. Don got back and parked out a bit after a 30 minute run to the dock and back.

I saw a few swirls right around a bush submerged out maybe 60 feet - so I put a cast over there and promply hooked a screamer that took me through the bush and out the other side. Needless to say I did not land this fish. That was it - we quit around 1:30 and went back to Don's to tie flies for our upcoming trip to Tarpon Cay Lodge.

Sunday - out again early and fewer fish working than on Sat and no hook ups but we had to get off the water by around 11.

Still much more activity than two weeks ago!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks Rick

Was it warm up there?

Do you guys think it will go on for a while?

Rick J
06-20-2006, 09:19 AM
It was warm but not really hot - maybe 80's

I am really worried about the blood midges as we have not been finding them in the evenings.

The damsels do not seem to be migrating in huge numbers yet so expect it will continue for some time. The high water might be spreading fish out . If we get weed growth all the way to the top to create open pockets of water this might help concentrate the fish but that might not happen this year with the high water