PDA

View Full Version : HAIRY IDEA SWAP

SullyTM
06-14-2006, 12:46 PM
The Diver thread got me thinking. Who is up for a HAIRY IDEA SWAP? Your pattern of choice BUT it has to have deer hair in it. I'll host. Sign up deadline is June 30 or sooner if it fills up. 12 tiers including me. Since most everyone is fishing these days the due date will be August 21. No late flies. The swap will go forward even if it doesn't fill up! Who's in?

Flies should have Toe Tags for identification and return postage if possible. I will PM everyone with mailing instructions.

Thanks. SullyTM

1. SullyTM - All Night Hex
2. Jgoding - Zoo Cougar
3. David Lee - Dahlberg Diver
4. Gregg Machel - Skip Morris pattern
5. nightgoat - TBD
6. Charlie Gonzales - Hopper pattern

SWAP IS CLOSED!!!!

Jgoding
06-14-2006, 01:37 PM
I'll tie one of my favorites... goddard caddis with deer hair. I promise, I'll send out my shad flies too!!

Jeff

David Lee
06-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Put me down for some dinky Dahlberg Divers (they'll throw on a 5 wt. !!!!) in Gold/natural Deer .

They will be packed as I see fit - :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

David :P

SullyTM
06-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Looks like a good beginning...

As Swapmeister I give David permission to PACK it his way :D

Later...

Gregg Machel
06-14-2006, 06:41 PM
I'll tie some kind of a bass bug. Not sure which one yet though.
Just picked up a Skip Morris DVD "The Art of Tying the Bass Fly" and it will have a resemblance to one of those on the DVD.

SullyTM
06-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Welcome aboard, Gregg...Skip Morris fly patterns are winners!

Thom

SullyTM
06-21-2006, 07:22 AM
Looks like this swap is going to be tough to fill so I'm revising it...Deadline to sign up is this Friday, June 23 AND the swap will be reduced to 6 tiers including myself. That means you only have to tie 6 flies(4 flies if no one else signs up). I'd like to move the DUE DATE to August 1 as I will be out of town/state during August. Thanks. Thom

nightgoat
06-21-2006, 07:45 AM
Hey Thom, count me in. Not sure what pattern yet. I'll let you know soon... :D

Jgoding
06-21-2006, 08:05 AM
Well with so few tiers, I think I'll change my pattern to something bigger and more hairy!!

A Zoo cougar seems about right!

Jeff

SullyTM
06-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Thanks for jumping in nightgoat...

Jeff, a zoo cougar would be nice! Always like the pattern...never tried tying one.

One spot left...

Later...

Charlie Gonzales
06-21-2006, 02:16 PM
All right count me in. This is my first swap and since its hopper season I think I'll stick to something simple like that. So.... a bullet head hopper or a Daves hopper or somethin with hair and legs that trout eat.

SullyTM
06-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Charlie...Welcome aboard! SWAP IS CLOSED! Each swapper ties 6 flies! That's it! Since it is prime fishing time I appreciate everyone's participation. I'll PM everyone with mailing instructions...DUE DATE is August 1(moved up due to my absense most of August).

Thanks fellas. Thom

David Lee
06-30-2006, 06:47 AM
Hey Swappers -

The Dahlbergs are turning out better than I thought . Here's the recipe ...

Hook - Mustad Accu-point Bassbug (I forget the number .... 800401 ???) size 10 . Same as TMC 8089 #10 .

Tail - Gold Flashabou (I've subsituted Gold Firefly) .

Tail-veil - White marabou , over which is Brown Marabou (I've subistuted Olive for the Brown ...) .

Collar/head - natural Tan Deerhair (I've put a hank of black on top of the collar for contrast) .

It's really more fly than you need for creek Smallmouth , but still waaaaay cool to toss at 'em . Both the belly and base of the diving collar are flexamented to withstand repeated fish attacks .... :evil:

I've heard that this fly is also a killer on Brown Trout , so chuck it at whatever you like :idea: I recommend using Maxima 2x or 1x , or straight 10 lb. mono for the tippet - the fish really crack these things when they eat them .

Thanks for hosting , Thom - bugs will be out early next week .

David :D

SullyTM
06-30-2006, 10:34 AM
David...Sounds good. Can't wait to see your creations. How is it going with the rest of your swappers? My All Night Hexes are complete...and they work. Just read Don Cooksey's post! If you get them done before the August 1 receiving deadline, mail them out. Have a good 4th everyone...stay safe!

Thom