PDA

View Full Version : Sandmound Slough - Previews of coming event - I HOPE

Richard
06-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Went out to Sandmound Slough this morning to keep an eye on it. Started at a slack high tide - NOTHING :( Once the tide started to go out things began to improve. I lost count of how many I caught. Just leave it to say that I didn't take a photo of the 2 1/2 pounder I caught last as I had enough photos already. :D :D I've included two of the photos that look almost like the same fish, but they are not. One is 3 lbs and the other 3 1/2. The blue rope is what I have my Boga tied to so I won't drop it in the water with the fish. :lol:

Things learned. Don't fish this area at a full slack high tide unless you just want to practice your casting. :lol: A receding tide is much better. =D> Bring a heavy rod!! All but one was caught in pools behind large weed beds and I had to keep them on top to get them across the weeds. If I hadn't been using a stiff 8 wt rod I wouldn't have had a prayer. :shock:

I checked out some of my old haunts and they are heating up as well. \:D/ That's where I caught the 2 1/2 pounder and I got a strike, which was so big it scared me and I missed it, naturally. :oops:

Let's hope it stays this way through the weekend of the 22nd. [-o<

http://www.usfca.edu/fac-staff/davisr/Delta2.jpghttp://www.usfca.edu/fac-staff/davisr/Delta3.jpg

David Lee
06-13-2006, 05:42 PM
This sounds GOOD !!

Have you fished Little Frank's Tract yet Richard ?? I would think that with all the cover in there , there should be some HOGS looking up .

I've heard the Sunfish fishing is going off at the moment , as well :twisted:

David :D

Hairstacker
06-13-2006, 06:39 PM
Holy moly, you lost count?!? 8) Man, I'm going to have to do a scouting trip myself!

Richard
06-14-2006, 08:53 AM
I haven't tried Small Frank's. I hear that it is weed heavy and it is the other direction from which I normally go. I have plans to try it at some point, but it's still on the "to do" list.

I lost count in part because most of them were small - 1/2 to a pound. Still fun, but not something that sticks in what's left of my grey matter. :)

By the way, the retrieve that seemed to work best was a strip and one second pause. Pretty much all the strikes came on the pause. Using a diver as always.

Adam Grace
06-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the report.

Hairstacker
06-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Richard, I am with you regarding the small ones -- they're ALL fun when you're getting 'em on top. 8)

Especially appreciate your comments regarding the retrieve. I have a nagging tendency to stubbornly stick with what worked on a previous trip -- like a steady, FAST retrieve. Yours is an excellent reminder to mix it up until you hit upon the winning combo.