PDA

View Full Version : New Rod Advise

SteelieD
06-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Well, it certainly isn't the spring I am accustomed to in CA but, that's what it is here in the great NW. It's time for us fairweather fishermen to get back at it and a July trip to Missoula and the annual sojurn to the Redding area in August have me thinking of a new travel rod. I am looking for a fast 4 piece, 5 (maybe 6) weight to handle a variety of fishing, including the saltwater beachs near my home for Sea Run Cutthroats. I have my eye on the TFO TiCR because it fits the price range ($200) and TFO seems to have a pretty good reputation.

As always, I come to the best board out there to seek advise/suggestions. Whatta you think guys?

Darian
06-13-2006, 05:25 PM
Hmmmm,.... Given the overall package; performance, price range, warranty and service, TFO is a good choice. You might want to conider looking at Redington Rods (owned by Sage), as well. 8) 8) 8)

Dustin Revel
06-13-2006, 06:19 PM
I would look in to the Echo I think the new one is the Echo 2. Tim Rajeff has done a very good job with his rods and making them affordable. The rod comes with an accuracy tip and a distance tip in other words a fast and a medium to fast tip. The Echo2 retails for $269 or the classic Echo which is also a very powerful rod it retails for about $150.
I believe the website is www.rajeffsports.com
Orvis also has the TLS power matrix the four piece 5 wt. is $315 if you want a fast action go with the tip flex on the orvis flex index.
sage/reddington also makes very nice sticks.

I would definately try a few different rods before making a purchase.
Dustin Revel

SteelieD
06-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks Guys. Darian, I had considered the Rddington CPS as well. And, Dustin, thanks, I had forgotton about Echo. That Echo2 looks pretty good with multiple tips!

Anybody here cast a Winston Vapor? Thoughts?

Gregg Machel
06-14-2006, 06:48 PM
I've heard from a few people that the Reddington CPS is almost just like the Sage XP. Definately worth checking out. I own a couple TFO rods and like them, they seem to preform well.

Hairstacker
06-15-2006, 12:07 AM
Gregg, I've heard the same thing about the CPS casting very similar to the Sage XP. I've never cast a CPS, but I have cast an XP and I liked it A LOT. Made me very interested in the CPS, especially considering the price.

Tony Buzolich
06-15-2006, 07:07 AM
I love the Redington CPS and I also love Sage so when I saw that they both came from the same location on Bainbridge Is. WA. I inquired and found that Redington is owned by Sage.

Now it has come to be that a lot of great companies are building a lower end or entry level products to grab a bigger share of the market. Winston brought in the Vapor, Loomis brought in their ? Flytech ?, even Abel started a lower end product, all to grab a larger share of the market.

Well, I believe, that Sage didn't want its name on an entry level product but still wanted a larger share, so came about Redington as a vehicle to do this.

Now, and this too is only speculation, it may be that to save some costs of development some of Sage's product line may have been sent to Redington and simply produced offshore as a cheaper means of production for a really nice rod.
TONY

SteelieD
06-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Mike/Greg - yes the XP is my first choice, I have fished with it and loved it (prompting my desire for a fast rod). But, I just can't see spending that much, too many other priorities! I think I would rather fill out my rod collection with a couple of really good rods than one great one.

Tony, interesting points you bring up about the off shore rods, in fact there is a pretty good article in Fly Fish America's 2006 Gear Guide on that very subject. Here is a link to the issue and the article is called "Casting East".

http://www.flyfishamerica.com/images/GearGuide06FFA.pdf

Another question for everyone, is there any special consideration to be given as far as how the saltwater affects a rod. I assume a good rinse and everything will be OK not matter what the rod. But I'd hate to assume something and find out different!

Gregg Machel
06-15-2006, 09:59 AM
You may have misunderstood me, I was not suggesting the Sage rod, I was suggesting that the Redington CPS rod performs like the Sage XP now, probably because Sage makes the rod. It's worth trying out.

SteelieD
06-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Sorry Gregg, no I didn't misunderstand. I appreciate the comparison because the XP is my 1st choice! I have noodled around w/ the CPS in a couple of shops. I guess I'll just have to spend a couple hours of my fathers day casting some rods... darn!

Any comments on my saltwater question from above?

Darian
06-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Seems to me that rinsing and a good wipe down after fishing in saltwater is good rod maintenance.... Of course, most of this maintenance is required for the hardware (guides/reel handles, etc.) than the rod blank.

Since blanks are pretty much the same quality, between major mfgrs, good quality hardware is what makes up the differences. Good quality requires less maintenance than poor quality. I have some glass ocean fishing rods (circa 1964) with quality hardware that is still functional today. 8) 8)

sculpin
06-15-2006, 08:37 PM
I don't think you can beat the Redington service. My 10wt CPS was broke last Sunday a little over a week from a Mexico trip. Jackie in Redington service put the $20 shipping and handling fee on my credit card and shipped me a new rod Monday. I received the replacemrnt rod Wednesday.

Mark

SteelieD
07-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Settled on the Winston Vapor 6wt and a new GPX line. I cast several and found this to be my favorite in the price range. Can't wait to get it on the water. Hope it catches fish! :wink:

Lucky
08-02-2006, 08:47 PM
I just bought an Echo2 Salt Water rod. Feels great haven't fished with it yet. Also another thing to remember is the Echo2 comes with a rod tube. Its my understanding the TFO does not. So the 250 price isn't that bad.

lee s.
08-02-2006, 09:33 PM
We toss some sages. We have won other rods. One of'em is the EchoII 8wt. It is a GRAND rod!!! Tosses 30' of LC just fine and does very well tossing big buggy stuff for LM's on a WF10F line. We do not miss a sage when tossing this rod. Tim sure could have saved us a bundle if he would have done this years ago! :wink: :roll:
.....lee s.

Adam Grace
08-03-2006, 02:23 AM
I suggest looking at a Scott V2 for around $200. Scott rods are American made, not imported.

SteelieD
08-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Agreed Adam. The Scott's are nice, I have a 4wt A2 that I love. I did cast a V2 but wanted a faster action rod. The G2 was out of my price range! :(

Adam Grace
08-03-2006, 04:49 PM
If you can afford the A2 I would go for it. The A2 feels better to me than Sage's FLi. Scott fly rods are awesome fishing tools!