PDA

View Full Version : The sad saga of Dusty

Dustin Revel
06-12-2006, 08:07 PM
I will tell the story chronologically.
My family started planning a grduation present fro my older brother in the form of a 8 day trip to belize.
on April 1 I applied for my passport, thinking there would not be an issue as it was ten weeks before my departing flight.
Since then I have researched the fishing tied loads of flies. I spent alll the money i had made from the ISE circuit and other flyfishing shows on fly tying material, camera accesories, but not gear Orvis treats me very well in that category.
My fathers passport arrives closely followed by my brothers.
At this point the flights have been booked, and hotel reservations have been made.
We start making more and more phone calls they said we would definately have the passport by the ninth of june. we start to get a little more worried and upgrade it to Expedited. June 9 comes and goes and still no passport.
today there was a glimmer of hope when we called the first time and the lady said it was almost complete and would be mailed today. she told me to call back in a few hours.
A few hours go buy at this point i have memorized the phone number i dial it after being on hold for a while the lady on the other end says there is no evidence that it has even been started.
today i tryed contacting a private 24 hour passport service but there is a federal law that prohibits having two apllications for a passport. It is very difficult to cancel the application , and it takes more time then we have.

Now for the important part
If i do not get my passport in time I will be home for 8 from 6/16- 6/24 days and would like to fish so if you have some time off and would like to fish reply i live in Anderson but might be able to figure out a way to meet you somewhere. I enjoy pretty much all types of fishing with an interest in sriped bass fishing mainly because i haven't done it succesfully. Gear is not an issue.
Hopefully we can work something out
Dustin revel
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j70/DustinRevel/nicelookingfish.jpg

jbird
06-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Dusty

You have a wisdom and a way with words way beyond your years :shock: I also love your profile picture :lol: classic!

You shouldnt have any trouble traveling to belize with a certified, stamped birth certificate. It may not be as hassle free as the passport, but should be enough.

Good luck

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
06-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Dusty,

Can't you still use your birth certificate to get into foreign countries. I know when I went into Baja, people were using their birth certificates and the same when they came back through LAX. I know it has to be the one with the certified stamp on it or a copy of the orginal. Usually you can pick one up at the county court house for a couple bucks

Hope your trip happens

Jay

Dustin Revel
06-12-2006, 09:03 PM
i have heard that you can travel to mexico or canada with a birth cert, but i am not sure if it will work in belize but i am looking into it
Dustin Revel

Darian
06-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Dusty,.... This has got to be solvable. How about contacting your congressman, seeking assistance with obtaining an expidited passport issuance :?: :?:

I'm not sure if the rules for travel to Belize are the same as to Mexico but if they are, a certified copy of your birth certificate (as the others have suggested) and a valid drivers license should be enough. There might be one problem with this method, tho. I thought I read, somewhere, that the rules for re-entering the USA had changed to require a Passport to return (don't hold me to this but be sure to check it out).

At any rate, I hope your Passport makes it in time for your trip. 8) 8) 8)

Dustin Revel
06-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Documentary Requirements for Entry To The United States

Travel from within the Western Hemisphere (North, Central or South America)
U.S. citizens:
Are exempt from passport requirements. However, it is highly recommended that a U.S. Citizen be prepared to present documentation such as valid or expired U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, or Naturalization certificate to avoid delays.
Exception—travel from Cuba, valid U.S. passport is required.
-directly from the customs website
http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/documentary_req.xml

that is what it sounds like to me as well, but I just read on travel.state.gove that a passport was necessary, and now I cannot find the exact location.
If this turns out to be false we are going to pursue the congressman avenue, and go to the passport processing plant in S.F. because you cannot reach them by phone.

john
06-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Dusty: You MUST have a passport to enter Belize. Jay: You might check but I think starting 1/1/07 Mexico will be requiring passports(or the US is reqiuring them for re-entry).

Dustin Revel
06-13-2006, 09:19 AM
John you are correct you must have a passport to enter belize,
I just faxed my request to Barbara Boxer's office they said they should be able to get the ball rolling

John is also correct with his coment about mexico.

New Requirements for Travelers

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

December 31, 2006 - Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
December 31, 2007 - Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.
This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States. Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement.

for more info see http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Dustin Revel

Dustin Revel
06-15-2006, 01:55 PM
If you get enough senators and congressman working on it you can get stuff done. I recieved it today. cutting it a little close considering I leave tonight, but who cares. Thanks for all your help!
Dusty
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j70/DustinRevel/IMG_6248.jpg

SteelieD
06-15-2006, 09:49 PM
AWESOME! Have a great trip and bring back pix!

Jay Murakoshi
06-16-2006, 12:11 AM
I read starting '07 everyone is going to need a passport for everything.
This is what the government is concerned with. When the big rush hits, will the PO be able to handle the onslaught of people

Jay

Dustin Revel
06-16-2006, 02:10 AM
I leave in a half an hour talk to you when I get back

steve sullivan
06-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Dusty: You MUST have a passport to enter Belize. Jay: You might check but I think starting 1/1/07 Mexico will be requiring passports(or the US is reqiuring them for re-entry).

Think of all the people that cross the border to go to TJ every day. $70 - $80 is kind of steep for a san diego resident who just want to cross the border for a little fun. Think of all the spring breakers who go to Mexico.

PaulC
06-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Its not like you have to buy a passport everytime and it is another country.

SteelieD
06-16-2006, 06:49 PM
A passport is valid for 10 years, annualized, it is a very reasonable investment.