PDA

View Full Version : Saturday morning on the Yuba

Mike Churchill
06-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Spent a nice morning (past lunch...) below the Highway 20 bridge on Saturday. Mostly tossed hoppers along the banks; scored my first three trout of the year between 12:30 and when I quit at 1:30. :D Beautiful resident rainbows going from about 12 to 15 inches. 8) Missed two others :oops: (one was in the morning).

The only fish I saw on the surface were the ones that hit my fly. The only bugs I saw around the water were butterflies cruising by.... The drift boaters I talked to were all getting a few, some on nymphs and some on caddis dries.

The water was nice and clear, in the low to mid-50's, and still flowing swiftly.

I can't beat getting to watch trout streak out of nowhere to whack a bushy dry. :D :D

Mike

MSP
06-11-2006, 06:14 PM
NICE! I was hoping for some of that last week. I'll have to give it another try this week. Thanks for the report.

Ben-doc
06-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Congrats for a good day on the river! I wish I would have trekked out there...Had to decide between the Yuba (an hour drive) and Putah Creek (half hour)...Got skunked at Putah, mostly because of the heavy moss that enveloped my fly on every other cast :roll: . Have to head out to the Yuba next week. Thanks for the report.