PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Location between Humboldt and SF

mircetich
06-10-2006, 06:05 AM
Hi all,
I am looking for a little help from those of you that know the coast pretty good. I am planning a camping trip with my best friend, his three year old son and my three year old daughter. We are looking for a place between SF and Humboldt county, light on the crowds.
This will be an introduction to trout fishing for the children, so I want it to be a positive experience, ie, easy fishing. If it is a lake you suggest, I can bring a drift boat to make things more accessable.
ANy suggestions on a place an hour or so from 101 would be terriffic.

Another idea would be within 1.5 hours of Sacto or Chico, but this would be a plan B definitely due to the fact that these places are quite a ways from Humboldt.
Thanks
Jon

Darian
06-10-2006, 08:05 AM
Hey Jon,.... You're lookin' for light crowds during the busiest time of the year on the coastal area. :? :? If you're familiar with the area from Fort Bragg north to the Sinkyone, there's a variety of remote/urban camping opportunities there. Not much Trout fishing tho. McKerriker State Park is off Hwy 1 just north of Fort Bragg (very busy in summer), includes Lake Cleone and has Bass/Trout. Lotsa tide pools, surf/rock fishing up to the wilderness area.

Along Hwy 101, there're some lakes (the largest is Sonoma) outside of Healdsburg. There's some Trout/Smallmouth bass fishing in the Rusian River upstream from Healdsburg. There's some Trout fishing in Lake Pillsbury, North of Clear Lake on the Eel River. There used to be some fishing below the dam on the main Eel.

You need to exercise some caution fishing for Trout in some of the rivers in the coastal area as some or all of them have heavily regulated stretches. All of 'em will be heavily used. So, expect crowded conditions and try for reservations. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Richard
06-15-2006, 06:09 PM
I just got back from a trip up to Lake Sonoma and used the Yorty Creek Recreation area out of Cloverdale (use Hot Springs Road). The area is a car top only launch area so you need something like a couple of inflatable kayaks if, as I suspect, that drift boat is trailered. Mid week the place was pretty much deserted. I am not sure what it is like in the main area near the dam. Probably much more crowded. Weekends are pretty bad from what I hear. The fishing is more for bass and panfish in the area, but you should be able to catch fish, particularly if you use bait. I managed to do OK fishing topwater with a fly rod. There are boat in camp sites in reach of the launch area.

Here is a site that will give you some information.

http://www.russianrivertravel.com/parks-lakesonoma.htm

Have fun. :)