PDA

View Full Version : Ripped Off ??

Chris Gearhart
06-09-2006, 05:05 PM
I hope this is an appropriate posting. I wonder if anybody has heard of Buck-a-Bug going out of business. I placed an order several weeks ago and never recieved it. I tried to contact them by telephone,e-mail,and fax. No response. My credit card was not charged so I never worried too much about it. Well next thing you know my card has been charged. I figure flies are the way. Wrong!!!!! Never got them.Again attempts to contact and nothing. I would apreciate any info.

Chris

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-09-2006, 09:24 PM
That is good advise Carl.

Maybe another reason to use a credit card?

steve sullivan
06-16-2006, 11:38 PM
I hope this is an appropriate posting. I wonder if anybody has heard of Buck-a-Bug going out of business. I placed an order several weeks ago and never recieved it. I tried to contact them by telephone,e-mail,and fax. No response. My credit card was not charged so I never worried too much about it. Well next thing you know my card has been charged. I figure flies are the way. Wrong!!!!! Never got them.Again attempts to contact and nothing. I would apreciate any info.

Chris

Hi, Jim Roberts is part owner of buck a bug. He recently ran a fly shop in Anderson that went under because of a huge rent increase. The last I heard from him he was going into real estate. He seems like a real honest person and I SERIOUSLY DOUBT HE WOULD INTENtiONALLY RIP SOMEONE OFF!, if you contact him I am sure this nice guy will make good on any mistakes made. Guides in the trinity/klammath area should be able to help you get in contact with him, as well as fly clubs as he gives talks there.

Just taking 5 minutes of my time I was able to find this, not sure if it is him (if you go to there website it shows Jim, john, and Michelle in a boat, I would guess the 'M' is Michelle:

M & J Roberts

street address not available
Yreka, CA
(530) 841-2674

Brad Blancett
06-22-2006, 07:14 PM
Some time back Jim Roberts AKA Buck A Bug was approached about buying the balance of flies from Mike Scott's Estate after his untimely passing . He aggreed to the terms and the flies which there were thousands . He recieved the flies and was never heard from again . Sad note I helped put him and the seller together.

Do I think he would intentionally CHEAT someone Heck Yeah I do !

He cheated a widow. Probably saw it as a Window of opportunity.

As for contacting him Good Luck he Disappears like a Gray Donkey in the Fog

P.S.

And Dear Mr Jim Roberts if by some chance you are reading this please feel free to call me or Sid you have our numbers as it was left on the message machine many times.

Sorry Bill I hate Cheats !

Digger
06-24-2006, 07:44 AM
I have also met Mr Roberts (wasn't that a movie?) a few years ago.
My 1st impression of him was that he seemed a genuine individual and I almost hired him as a guide.
So, I'm surprised to hear of this situation, however it seems others here have more actual experience with him.
Certainly would like to believe this is not the norm for people making a living in this industry, since I've heard of and have seen 1st hand how ethics seem to escape several guides in our great sport. This is why I will likely never hire a guide, unless I've been given very specific recommendations from people I trust.

Chris Gearhart
06-24-2006, 11:57 AM
I appreciate all the input. There have been a few developments since my last post. First I got an email from Jim Roberts saying he had been in Montana for 2 weeks and didnt know there was a problem, wanted to do what ever to make it right, bla bla bla. That was several weeks ago. I was floating the lower Sac last week and was chating with a local guide who tells me he just spent a month with Jim Roberts in Montana helping with a large group guided trip. I have also gotten an email from a guy in GA with a similar situation only he is out $297.00 . I have tried to call and or email daily with no response and no flies. I can only assume ( yes I know what happens when we ass u me) the worst. I am not trying to use this board to SLAM people or bussiness but I think everyone needs to be warned.

P.S. My bank is issuing a refund. A good reason to use a credit card.

Chris

Brad Blancett
06-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Hi Chris,

My reply was only meant as yours were to be Facts and nothing but the facts . As a Guide I know a few that have used Mr Jim Roberts and were will served by Jim's Guiding Knowledge. I cannot speak of anything in that area . I only of my and the Estate of Mike Scott's Flyshop dealing with him and there is where I have my doubts about the business ethics of Buck A Bug and Mr Jim Roberts. If there is a partner in this business I have never met or heard of or from him .

JD
01-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Resurrecting an old topic, did these issues ever get resolved (i.e. the wayward order and the previous owner's widow)? I noticed Buck-a-Bug is back at the ISE (San Mateo anyway) and I was curious whether or not the early problems were part of the transition or a pattern.

Reply via email if you think a public forum is innappropriate place to air dirty laundry.

Brad Blancett
01-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Late October we received "most" of the flies back.

fallriverfish
01-22-2007, 06:46 AM
Contact the D.A.(District Attorney) in the county of the offense.

About 7 years ago I had some clients complain about a guide who does not go buy his real name and lives in Shasta. (guess who) He charged their credit card on day one of a 3 day trip and did not guide them on the remaining 2 days. I advised him to contact the D.A. and with an hour the situation was taken care of.

It may seem like a hard ball tactic but at least it sets a record of these situations.