PDA

View Full Version : In search of corbina, but

PaulC
06-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Fished this morning looking for corbina. They're definitely showing up but ended up with this guy on a size 8 razzler while vicinity casting to a pair.
Thought I had one of the pair on and then this guy breaches the surface.
Halibut taking a small shrimp pattern, go figure. Fish released to fight another day (Might have ended up different had I a tape measure:) ).
Thought you guys would enjoy the picture.
-Paul

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/hali.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Great camouflage................

jbird
06-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Paul
That is a really nice surf halibut! Nice photo.

Jay

Darian
06-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Hey Paul,.... Nice Halibut!!! As much as I loved catching Bean's when I lived down there, I prefer Halibut. 8) 8) 8)

Got 'im on a Razzler, tho :?: :?:

David Lee
06-10-2006, 07:37 AM
VERY well done !!

David =D>

PaulC
06-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Thanks guys. Definitely a fun fish on the fly rod.
Darian, you're right. A decent halibut on a small #8 shrimp pattern. Definitely not the norm. I was fishing my corbina rig, so 8lb fluoro, 6wt rod and 175 grain integrated line. Pretty much the entirely wrong rig for halibut, but can't shoot a gift horse in the mouth. If the fish wasn't corner hooked in the mouth, I would have probably been sawed off.
Lots of perch today and plenty of spooked beans. We need the sun to come out down here to make sight casting more feasible.
Lined a pod of three today and watched them shoot out in every direction.
Thought I was leading the group enough, but guess not. So it goes with low light visibility.
Different beach tomorrow to scout out structure in advance of a buddy's trip from up north to try the salt. Maybe the sun will poke its head out.
-Paul

sculpin
06-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Nice reports Paul. You'll have to keep a tape measure with you in case dinner shows up again .

Mark

Adam Grace
06-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Paul, why are you taking a picture of sand? :lol:

DonCooksey
06-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Nice halibut, Paul. I've caught them while fishing for corbina as well, usually when I slowed my retrieve way down.