PDA

View Full Version : Davis Lake Report

Rick J
06-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Visited Don this weekend - got up there around 5:30 PM Friday and we hit the lake for a couple of hours - quite a few midges on the water and a number of sporadic fish cruising but no grabs.

Out at 9 the next day - a beautiful day with some wind off and on - lots of adult midges on the water varying in size from 32's to 12's and we saw a good number of damsels swimming - spooky because we saw almost no fish working!

The lake is really high and maybe the fish are spread out - we hit a number of spots - quite a few fly fishermen out. We were scoping a number of fish but... At one spot we saw one nice fish bust a damsel - I put my fly close and a few strips later hooked a hot fish a bit over 20". That was it for the day - got off the water at around 2 or:30. Talked to the sheriff who was at the dock loading his boat - he talked to one other fly fisherman that had hooked a fish!

Next morning out just after 8 - much windier! Back to the same location and the damsels were already cruising - saw a few more active fish and Don managed two fish - one smaller one (14") and one about like the one I hooked the ay before - we gave up around 10:30 as the wind was really ripping and i had to get on the highway.

It has not been very warm up there yet (Don had 6 inches of snow over Memorial weekend!) so am hoping the fish are just now starting to key on the damsels and that they are still around in numbers. Wondering how many of the fish we scoped were pike?

Plan to head up in two weeks and am hoping for more cruising fish!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks Rick.

I think it should "take off" this week with some more warm weather.