PDA

View Full Version : 6-3-06 Pond Bluegills

Hairstacker
06-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Took my son and his fly rod out to a pond today for some bluegill action. He got some healthy-sized bluegills and green sunfish on an olive beadhead caddis larva imitation he had tied himself. Among those he caught, was this one that went 8" (check out the orange edge on that fin!):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/6-3-06Bluegill1.jpg

I tried every pattern I had with me and he only used the one but he still outfished me. Funny thing is, when he pulled out his fly box and said, "I'm fishin' with this," I almost talked him out of it but kept my mouth shut. Shows what I know. :lol: Remind me to bring whatever he's fishin' with next time. . . .:lol: 8) 8) 8)

David Lee
06-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Nice chunky Greenie .... great job !!!

PS - please tell both BUSH BOYS I said hello and it's time to take 'em to the creek :shock:

David

Hairstacker
06-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Hey David! Yep, will definitely have to wet-wade the creek for some smallies this summer. 8) 8) 8)

SullyTM
06-06-2006, 07:21 AM
Mike...What pattern did you guys use? I've been using that mini-gurgler fly you tyed for the swap month or so ago...Thom

Hairstacker
06-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Hey Thom! The most effective fly, which my son had tied, was Dave Hughes' Olive Beadhead pattern. It is tied with rabbit fur from a couple of hare's ear masks -- dyed olive for the abdomen and natural brown (with guard hairs mixed in) for the thorax. The abdomen is ribbed with yellow floss and there's a gold bead in front of the thorax. I'm not sure what size he was using, but I'm guessing a size 14.

I had some luck with a standard size 14 hare's ear nymph.

SullyTM
06-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Well Mike, I guess I'll have to tye up a couple cuz the 'gills at the local neighborhood pond aren't biting on what I've been tossing lately. Being outfished by your son :D...Had that happen to me at Bass Lake. My son seems to have all the luck :roll:

BTW...Remember that Golden Stonefly pattern you tyed and I tried? I tyed up a few for a gent in Canada and he's been using them...Evidently, Canada trout know a good thing when they see it :lol:

Adios. Thom

Hairstacker
06-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Thom, I'll send you a couple of those flies my son was using in the correct size so you'll have an example to go by. Please PM me with where to send them.

Really glad to hear those golden stones are catching fish for someone (I haven't tried them yet). They sure were a pain to tie, and it would have been tragic if all they did was look pretty, ha.