PDA

View Full Version : July gathering

Richard
06-01-2006, 09:45 PM
For those of you who have not been following the previous thread some of us are planning an outing out of Lundborg's Landing (down Piper Slough from the Sugar Barge) probably fishing Sandmound Slough. Dates are either July 21 or 22 from dark to dark with lunch and fishing stories (fantastic fibbing to the rest of the world) in the middle. Ya'll come. \:D/

If you need directions let us know.

Charlie Gonzales
06-01-2006, 09:58 PM
I would love to join the list for some bassin and I'll have a spot open for uno mas on my boat. Si or no?

Hairstacker
06-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Charlie, welcome aboard! The more, the merrier!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Are you camping out somewhere?

SullyTM
06-02-2006, 07:48 AM
Where is this location? I'm checking the calendar. Might be able to swing a "day" trip. Thanks, Richard. Thom

Hairstacker
06-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Hey Thom! Sure hope you can make it! I'm good for either the 22nd or 23rd for a one day session myself. I can't make the 21st, so sure hope it isn't on that day, ha.

As far as the location, Lundborg Landing is located at 6777 Riverview Road, Bethel Island, California. To get there, you make your way to Bethel Island Road (which is just south-west of Frank's Tract), turn right onto Gateway Road, and then follow until you reach the Lundborg Landing sign.

If you go to www.mapquest.com, just do a search on "Bethel Island, CA." Then zoom in and you will see Bethel Island Road and Gateway Road. Then zoom out to see how best to get to Bethel Island Road from your location.

David Lee
06-02-2006, 06:08 PM
I've wanted to do a Bass bug get together for quite a while now .... Glad it's coming together !!

For those who don't know Charlie ..... he's a great guy , pretty fair cook (from what I've heard ...) and the BEST rigger out there -

List so far is ....

Richard
Mike Newman
Hairstacker
Charlie G.
David Lee
??SullyTM??

Barring work , I'll be there Friday afternoon , and probably leave Sunday morning . We can BBQ at our campsite or eat @ the resort (good chow and drinks there) . Candida will be with me .... being a savage w/ spinning gear :lol:

I can't wait !!!!

David :D

Hairstacker
06-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Hey David, I, uh, of course, know nothing about this spinning stuff, but make sure to supply Candida with some 3/0 or 4/0 worm hooks and some 5" Senkos. I would suggest watermelon w/black flake or watermelon w/black and red flake as an excellent start. Rig 'em weightless Texas-style and tell her to flip it as close to cover as possible on a semi-slack line and let it drop to the bottom. After a moment, reel in the slack, slowly pull the rod tip all the way up to bring the Senko up and let it dead fall again on a semi-slack line. Repeat.

You want it to fall on a semi-slack line so it will fall straight down rather than swing like a pendulum but yet you want to stay connected enough to feel the hits. No weight is needed, as they're pretty heavy already and fall pretty fast as is. They dead fall horizontally with wiggling tips, which bass find irresistable. They'll probably nail it on the way down and sometimes on the way up, but the hits are often easily detectable, if not savage. I will be very surprised if she doesn't get into some good fish. Uh, so I've been told. . . .:twisted:

David Lee
06-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Errr ..... thanks , buddy !!

Actually - she's more of an 'active' sort - spinnerbaits , Rapalas , etc. . Every once in a while .... I go thru the old tackle box from my gear days (1968-1994) and marvel at all the cool stuff I used to throw before I started flying . I don't miss it a bit !!

I'm starting to DROOL thinking about this trip =P~ :drool: :nod:

David :D :D

Hairstacker
06-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Hmmm. . ., "active" sort you say, eh? Well then, may I suggest you supply her with at least one Snag Proof Wiggle Wog? These things look like an out-sized tadpole and float when still but swim just under the surface when retrieved with a very tantalizing tail action (their tail is shaped like those on a Castaic swimbait :roll: ). The other great thing about these things is that, since their hooks are oriented on top just like a Snag Proof Frog, you can walk 'em across weed mats without gunking up or getting snagged. Imagine a big 'ol bass busting up through the mat to get it. . . . In any case, she can fish it as fast or as slow as she prefers. A great way to get into some topwater action with a spinning rod. Errr, or so I've been told. . . . :twisted:

nightgoat
06-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Okay, I might have to jump in on this.... :D I take it there is somewhere to camp out for a night or two? I have a boat that holds three but only fishes two tossing flies. So I have room for at least one and maybe two ( as long as you don't mind alternating who gets to fish) . But Chris V. gets priority as half the boat is his ( the non fish catching half :lol: ). So mark me down as tentative :P

Hairstacker
06-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Hey Nightgoat, sure hope you can make it! Be a bummer, though, to get stuck in the non-fish-catching half of the boat. :lol: Actually, I'm surprised at the number of folks who've signed up so far who've volunteered they have an extra seat for the non-boat-owning folks. Very generous and a unique opportunity for those folks who are interested in Delta bass bugging but don't own any sort of watercraft (yet :nod: ). 8) I expect I'll be flinging flies out of my inflatable kayak. :D

Richard
06-02-2006, 10:10 PM
WOW!!! This is getting better by the hour. :D :D :D :D It looks like it's the 22nd. (With some people starting earlier and ending later.) Starting point is Lundborg's landing. AND, are we ever lucky!! The Bethel Island Car Bash is the weekend before and that is a great weekend when, unless you love old cars, you DON"T want to be NEAR Bethel Island!!!!

Remember, the low tide (and it's very low, -0.3) is at 11:00 AM so to fish the outgoing tide you want to be there around sunrise. The fishing should be best from sunrise until about 10:00 or 10:30. We'll take a break during the slack tide (for lunch, gabbing and meeting and greeting). and resume in the afternoon. The high is at 5:51 and is not too high at 2.9. So fishing from about 1:30 until 5:00 should be pretty good. The plan, at the moment, is to fish Sandmound Slough. I will be fishing the area in the meantime and if Sandmound begins to turn to dust I will let you know and we will try another spot in the same general area.

Camping at Lundborg's is $16 a night, RV is $24 a night. Their web site is:

http://www.lundborglanding.com/

Looking forward to seeing you all there. :) :) :)

SullyTM
06-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Richard, David, Hairstacker, etal...Looks like July will be family vacation time so I won't be able to join in this gathering...Guess I'll have to settle for the Little Lehigh Creek :)

BTW...Maybe one you should host a Special Edition Fly Swap just for this excursion! You could call it the Lundberg Landing Fly Swap.

Adios. SullyTM

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-03-2006, 11:17 AM
I guess you will need something to float in? Kayak, canoe or boat?

I don't think there will be much bank fly fishing?

Saturday/Sunday is July 22/23.

I guess some could go 21, 22 and 23 or any one or two of those days?

Richard
06-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Right, there is no bank fishing, you need a boat, but some of us going have a spare seat on our boat so everyone is invited. If you don't have a boat let us know and we will arrange a seat with someone. The end of Sandmound Slough is easily done in an inflatable kayak or some such. We can transport such boats on the ones with motors. I have a spare two person inflatable kayak if someone wants to try one but doesn't have one of their own.

It looks like the 22nd is the core day, but some may want to do an extra day on the front or back of that.

I, for one, will have some extras of my version of the Dahlberg Diver for anyone who wants to try one and I believe some others will also be sharing.

For anyone who hasn't done this before I think (and others may disagree with me on this) that the best rod is an 8 wt uplined with a ten wt line. You can get by with a six wt rod uplined to an 8, but you might lose some that you manage to hook in the structure and moss. Floating lines are probably best in this situation.

mikenewman
06-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Also, weedguards and minimum 15lb leaders are recommended (5 or 6 feet straight through mono is fine). Don't come undergunned guys 'cos you will be pitching into some pretty challenging structure. I have a spare 7wt uplined with a an 8wf if anybody needs it.
Mike

(Dead poet's Society? Nah, give me Delta Bass Buggers anyday :) :) )

Rickey Noel Mitchell
06-03-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm in kayak and all...but dress brightly. In July Delta waters can be crowded and they can be dangerous. That aside I'd love to chase some bass with you gentlemen .

Rickey Noel Mitchell
06-03-2006, 06:01 PM
My Birthday is the 22 so I expect presents! Not really. It's really my birthday but I don't expect presents. Actually I don't know if I can get away on my birthday. But I'll be there on the 23rd. also Is that the David I know?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-03-2006, 06:24 PM
This will be our group's first offical outing.......yahoo!

Rickey Noel Mitchell
06-03-2006, 07:12 PM
The highest power in the land ( my wife Elaina) has granted me permission to be there on the 23rd. I am looking forward to this. For this special occasion I'll be bringing extra yaks. Can I get an Ideal whose interested?

Richard
06-04-2006, 10:29 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! (A touch early.) :) This sure gives incentive to stick around and make it a full weekend. I, unfortunately, can only make the 22nd. As I am looking around to upgrade my inflatable to a "real" kayak I wish I could be there for the 23rd as well.

I guess that now that Bill has denoted this as an "official" outing we better make it work. :D :D

Rickey Noel Mitchell
06-05-2006, 06:53 AM
Well...since Bill has declared this the first offical forum gathering and I did miss the Expo I'll be there both the 22 and the 23 rd. If the occasion presents it self and it's alright with bill I'd be happy to do a short Kayak fly fishing seminar. As for the highest power in the land...my wife Elaina...she's coming.

Chris V
06-05-2006, 09:05 AM
Alright I'm in (pending final approval from my better half). My birthday happens to be in the same week and there's nothing I'd rather do than go fishing! :D

Nightgoat and I do have one extra seat on our boat, but who ever hops on would have to take turns driving/ giving me pointers :lol:

I haven't done much bass fishing (other than for stripers), but do have an 8wt with a 250 grain 30ft sink tip. I've also got a floating line for it- any top water action out there? Also, aside from weed guards, any suggestions on flys?

I'm really looking forward to this guys!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-05-2006, 09:20 AM
I would have a 9' #6, 7 or 8 weight rod with a weight forward floating line that is one, two or even three sizes over.

I would have a weight forward floating 'bass' line or a 'salt water' line because the forward, large diameter section is shorter so it will help throw wind resistant bass flies better.

Most of the casting is 10 to 30 feet so having some weight right up front is great.

I think you can do 80% of your black bass fishing with a floating line.

__________________________________________________ ________

We accidentally catch Black Bass while Striper fishing in the Fall and Winter but that is not the coolest way to fish for them.

Spring and Summer is prime time for Black Bass.

Fall and Winter is prime time for Stripers.

__________________________________________________ _________

Normally in the summer the black bass fly fishing will be best early and late but as mentioned the tide movements will influence it some too.

__________________________________________________ __________

For black bass leaders Captain Kevin Doran uses about 6 feet of 15# or 20# Maxima 'Ultra Green' level tippet material.

You could use a Rio 7 1/2' 0x knotless tapered leader tied directly to your fly line. It is stiffer with a large diameter butt for turning over bass bugs.

Chris V
06-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the info Bill, looks like I'll be in for a new spool and line.

Are you fishing mostly clousers out there?

Hairstacker
06-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Ricky, glad you can make the 22nd! I'm interested in anything and everything you have to say about kayaks and kayaking!

Chris, glad you can make it too! As Bill suggested, I will likely be out there with a 7 wt. overlined with a bass bug taper floating line. For targeting largemouths in the Delta, I use a floating line exclusively, as I'm primarily interested in the topwater bite and I'm usually targeting the top portion of the water column with whatever I'm throwing out there.

As far as flies, you can fish mostly Clousers but you will miss a lot of the fun. There can be GREAT topwater action in the Delta, so I fish 80%+ of the time with floating deerhair poppers. ONLY when those aren't working at all or under specific conditions/circumstances will I resort to a chartreuse/white flashtail Clouser or large olive woolly bugger.

The Dahlberg Diver is probably the most popular (and one of the most effective) patterns folks use out there. Clousers can work great too.

Hairstacker
06-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't add, be fully prepared for the sun! It can REALLY blaze in the Delta in mid/late July. Doesn't seem to bother the fish so much but it will fry you to a crisp if you're not properly prepared, especially with all the reflected light off of the water. I'm pretty sun-tolerant myself, but you won't catch me out there in July without a hat that shades my ears and neck, a long-sleeve shirt, long pants, and sun gloves for my hands. Please take heed.

Richard
06-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Chris (and others interested). I'm a topwater man myself and rely almost exclusively on Dahlberg Divers. I will have them to share for those who don't want to invest in a fly they haven't tried.

There is a spot at the end of Sandmound Slough that I very much suspect would be a great spot for Clousers, though I haven't tried that approach. So I would bring some along.

See you all on the 22nd. :D :D

David Lee
06-05-2006, 05:23 PM
I haven't done much bass fishing (other than for stripers), but do have an 8wt with a 250 grain 30ft sink tip. I've also got a floating line for it- any top water action out there? Also, aside from weed guards, any suggestions on flys?

Hey Chris -

I'm bringing a soft-ish 7 wt. w/ a floater and an 'I' line , a med-fast 8 wt. w/ a floater , and a bossy 8 wt. w/ 28 feet of leadcore ..... and I plan on using ALL of 'em :shock:

Flies ?? diving deerhair frog , Gurglers , Leo G. poppers (they are the BEST !!) , Clousers , buggers , Leeches ...... Don't forget some small nymphs for Sunfish .

What time are we all knocking for lunch ?? 12:00 noon sound OK ???

David :evil:

Charlie Gonzales
06-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Dave ,
thanks for the kind words. i'll be see'n you soon.
as for the dahlberg, i recently mentioned in a post about tying them with dumbells in them to give it a nice swimming action. i also use rabbit strips for legs on them and it gives a nice swimming/fleeing action. i use heavy mono tied in like you would for eyes on a shrimp pattern to keep the legs seperated and when you get to the dumbells stack your hair around them instead of spinning it. hope you can visualize what i'm sayin cuz it sounds kinda funky.

Eugene Graham
06-05-2006, 10:49 PM
I should be ther on the 22nd with my Kayak. I can't wait to see you all.

Eugene Graham

Hairstacker
06-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Great Eugene! Man, this is getting better all the time!!

dreamingincolor
06-06-2006, 12:19 AM
hi everyone just loged on first time in a couple days and wow sounds like a great outing. have read forum religously since joining and feel like i know some of you. i am throwing in for a great outing, ill be there 22 and 23rd.i also have an extra seat in my boat if anyone needs a seat. im not familiar with area but fishing is fishing so lets do it! have 16'bass tracker with mg troller with auto pilot nothing fancy but nice platforms to sling line from.looking forward to meeting everyone. if anyone needs a seat just let me know. my fish partner does not fly fish so if you dont or want to cast or spin its not a problem, im used to it. ill have a couple of 9' 8wts and you can try one out if you want. looking forward to it everyone!!!!

Ben-doc
06-06-2006, 07:46 AM
I agree that this sounds like a grand outing...I read the message board somewhat religiously as well, but had been skipping this thread as I don't have a boat and only have a 6 wt rod/line. But with a few people offering extra seats and setups, maybe it's not so out of the question? I'm a huge fan of bass on flyrods, so I'm going to try to keep that weekend free. :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-06-2006, 09:15 AM
I am planning on being there myself.

I guess we can have a potluck barbecue at noon on Saturday.

I think I will head down there one of these day to check that place out.

Maybe David Lee and I can go down and do some R&D.

Some might need reservations if they have a trailers or RV.

I guess they have plenty of open camping spots?

Captain Kevin Doran will be putting on a little free top water bass seminar after lunch on Saturday.

Richard
06-06-2006, 10:03 AM
:D :D :D :D This is going to be one great party!!!! :D :D :D

Bill, if you are interested in some ideas of places to scope out let me know. As this is the Frank's Tract area there are so many areas it's easy to get overwhelmed. The Sandmound Slough area I am suggesting is to the right as you leave the Lundborg Landing area. Go all the way to the end for what is (for now at least) the best fishing. I am sure your GPS unit will guide you.

Having KD there is going to make this THE event to be at! :D :D :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Richard,

I was thinking more of scouting out the marina/camping/RV area.

Maybe some of us can get together one day and go down there before the end of June to check out the facilities for camping, barbecue, etc.

Hairstacker
06-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Holy mackerel. . . er, bass! This is turning into the MUST ATTEND EVENT of the summer!!

David Lee
06-06-2006, 04:07 PM
I think I will head down there one of these day to check that place out.

Maybe David Lee and I can go down and do some R&D.

Some might need reservations if they have a trailers or RV.

I guess they have plenty of open camping spots?

I'm keen on taking you scouting , Bill . And ..... I'll be glad to do the BBQ work and semi-hosting , as long as its OK w/ Richard , Mike Newman , and Hairstacker - since it was originally their get-together (I don't wanna step on any feet here ... :oops: ) .

Lundborg has a huge grass area for camping , hookups , great food and a killer bar . Two lanes , maybe three on the ramp , docks , etc. ....

The Bass-bugging get together is one I've wanted to have for the past three years - thanks to Richard , Mike and Hairstacker , I think it will be THE EVENT of 2006 =D>

Rickey Noel Mitchell
06-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Gentlemen I can't think of a better way to spend a birthday. If everyone was open to the ideal,I'd love to do a short kayakflyfishing seminar after Kevin's seminar. Besides my own homewaters there's nothing I'd rather do than chase bucket mouths and linesides among the tules in the Delta.
Let me know your thoughts.

mikenewman
06-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Good grief - this thing is going to be bigger than Woodstock! (Oh dear, that's my age group given away :( )
David, Bill please carry on scouting: I don't think any of us initially thought it would create such interest.
Meanwhile here's a pretty little Sandmound resident that I met earlier this afternoon.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Mikenewman_/6.jpg

Hairstacker
06-06-2006, 05:40 PM
David, are you kidding? I can't speak for the other fellas, but I'd be MORE than happy if you were willing to "do the BBQ work and semi-hosting," as you'd be great at it and I'm too shy for that sort of stuff. :oops:

Rickey, I hope others pipe in -- I think it'd be GREAT if you did a seminar! I believe fly fishing from a kayak is really getting more popular these days and who better to learn about it from than an expert, professional guide, and author on the subject such as yourself? I will be all ears.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't add that I can't wait to hear what Kevin Doran has to say when he does his seminar for us after lunch about bass bugging the Delta, especially given that he's widely regarded as one of THE very top professional bass fly fishing guides on the Delta.

Mike, what, no details?!? :lol: I've never fished Sand Mound and am curious what you saw and experienced today. What kind of cover did you see? Any weed beds forming up?

mikenewman
06-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Hi Mike
It was tough out there this afternoon. Thought I was going to get skunked until that guy came along.
Here's Sandmound Slough:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Mikenewman_/Smnd017.jpg

Located on the south east side of Frank's Tract. In terms of structure it's like the Delta in microcosm - It's got a levee wall, rip rap, weed beds, tullie clumps, tullie islands, docks, flats, narrows, overhanging trees etc. It starts off deep at the top end and narrows eventually to a shallow dead end. I should imagine the quieter areas are ideal for yaks and smaller boats
As Richard has pointed out, you need to bear in mind that although much of it is in a no wake zone, some of it isn't. This afternoon, in the space of 2 hours I was buzzed by 2 waterskiers, 4 jet skis, 2 kids on inflatable donuts being towed by hi-speed dad and what I can only describe as the marine equivalent of a dragster that came up behind me making a noise like a jet fighter. Apart from that it was v peaceful :lol:
I only ever fish topwater and Sandmound has never let me down. The rip rap/tulle clumps, islands and beds are always good for a fish or two (and often more) Richard, I believe has fished it more than me - especially the bottom end and I'm sure he'll give us a briefing on the morning :thumbsup:
Of course, we don't have to confine ourselves to Sandmound. The beds and islands surrounding Frank's are great (my 6.5lber came from the North side) Absolutely loads of places within a 10 minute run of Piper/Sandmound for the powered craft.
All in all it's going to be absolutely terrific to have so many enthusiasts together and KD's and Rickey's generous input will be the icing on a very sweet cake. :D

dreamingincolor
06-06-2006, 08:49 PM
just got in and had to see how this thread was moving!!! by my count there are an even dozen that have commited to being there at least one day, 2 greats that are giving us lesser ones lessons, and bill proposing a pot luck @ noon, wow this will be a great outing!!!

Eugene Graham
06-06-2006, 09:27 PM
I would love taking both Kevin & Rickey's seminars at this event. I guess I need to finish rigging my Kayak before this happens.

Adam Grace
06-07-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm going to ask for the day off from work. Hopefully I will get the days off. This sounds like fun.

Richard
06-10-2006, 08:45 AM
This is getting to be one great event! :D :D I sure don't mind anyone taking on whatever responsibility they are willing to assume. I will try and have some maps of the area available so that people can at least know the areas I have fished and what my experience has been there. With this many people we will need plenty of places to try our skill. (Well, I will rely on luck, but the rest of you can use skill. :D )

I look forward to seeing you all on the 22nd.

Adam Grace
07-05-2006, 09:14 AM
Unfortunately, I cannot get the day off from work. You guys have fun.

Richard
07-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Bummer, Adam. :( Really sorry that you can't make it. That having to work stuff is a real bummer. Glad I don't have to do it any more. :D

Hope to meet you at some future event.

Richard

Hairstacker
07-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I'm sorry you can't make it too Adam. :( Hopefully the next one. . . .

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Maybe Darian and David Lee and I can go down there this Wednesday to check out all three marinas?

Sugar Barge, Russo's and Lundberg.

We might be able to meet Richard down there as well?

Richard
07-09-2006, 06:00 PM
BUMMER :( :( :( can't make it on Wednesday. I'll be there Friday with KD all day :D :D :D

I have looked around some. Don't know Russo's, but I have seen the other two. Sugar Barge is by far the more upscale. It has a covered BBQ picnic area in the RV area. Don't know about reserving the spot. The boat house itself is quite a facility. Lundborg Landing is a relaxed spot with a friendly restaurant/bar and crew. It would not be out of place in the Mississippi Delta. The Sugar Barge is more the Martha's Vineyard type. Launch fees are about the same, $8 at Lundborg and $10 at Sugar Barge. Lundborg is closer to Sandmound Slough, but the difference is small once you are on the water. I launch at Lundborg because it is closer to where I keep my boat. I'm up for whatever Bill and crew decide.

I'll post more after the excursion with KD. I will try to have some maps prepared for those who don't know the area.

David Lee
07-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Wednesday is fine with me for a scouting trip ...... BUT -

The only place to camp down there is Lundborg's . Since Candida and I are camping from the afternoon of the 21st to mid-day Sunday , that's where we'll be staying . Lundborg Landing is closer to Sandmound ..... and that matters to those in tubes/Yaks/electric motor boats .

Just my opinion .... :) :) :)

Darian
07-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Hi Bill,.... Wednesday is OK for a scouting trip with me. 8) 8) Kinda sounds like David has some concerns, tho. :? :? Not sure, but the last time I was at Russo's, camping was allowed in the area where the RV's were parked. :? :? Maybe it was car camping :?: :) :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-09-2006, 09:36 PM
I think we should go down to Lundberg to talk with the people there about our event anyway.

Sounds like Lundberg would be best as far as the location to Sandmouth Slough.

I will talk with you guys about a meeting place. I can drive if it's OK.

Darian
07-10-2006, 12:01 PM
I just looked at Sugar Barge's website and found that they make reservations for campsites.... Info for David Lee. :D :D :D

Richard
07-10-2006, 12:30 PM
As far as relationship to Sandmound, as I said earlier, Lundborg is closer, but the difference isn't enough to worry about. Unless you have power getting to Sandmound from either place would be too much of a chore (at least for me). There are plenty of places to fish from either place for those without power who don't want to hitch a ride on one of the boats with power. There is a Marina much closer to Sandmound, I can't remember the name. I know nothing about it except I see it on my way to Sandmound.

Let us know what you all decide.

David Lee
07-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Looks like Bill , Darian and I will be down there in the morning .

Don't worry .... I'll bring 'em back in one piece (er , more or less .... :evil: ) .

David :P

gryhackl
07-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Is a float tube going to work where we are going?

Rickey Noel Mitchell
07-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Is a float tube going to work where we are going?

This time of year the Delta has lots of boat traffic so be very careful.
Any time I go to the Delta and Sugar Barge is full up I go to Beacons Harbor just a mile or so down the road. Could I get the number of Lundbord. Thanks.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Lundberg Landing is located on Piper Slough which skirts the west side of Frank's Tract.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=38.024498,-121.629295&spn=0.048411,0.069523&t=k&om=1

Unless you know the area I would recommend getting a reservation on line at Lundberg Landing for Friday night ($16) and pitch a tent or sleep in your rig so you can get familiar with the area.

I think most will be launching their 'craft' early (5:00am) and heading south down to Sand Mound Slough.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-14-2006, 12:39 PM
What is the best map on line for that area with good details?

Go to 'Map Quest' online and go to Driving Directions.

Put in your address and then Lundborg's for driving directions you can print.

Lundborg Landing
6777 Riverview Rd
Bethel Island, CA 94511

mikenewman
07-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Bill
I'll bring a load of copies from my Fish n' Go Delta map: shows the whole area and Lundberg and the other marinas. Richard and I know the area well so i'm sure we can sort everybody out, particularly the guys without motors. (Obvious comment but I suggest everybody brings a cell phone) Also, can we put together a definitive list of who's coming and what they are riding?
Mike

David Lee
07-14-2006, 06:49 PM
can we put together a definitive list of who's coming and what they are riding?

Hi Mike -

I have a list on the events page ..... if everybody would like to confirm .

PS - How was your trip ??

mikenewman
07-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Hi David
Just wondering how many will need a ride/shuttle and how many spare boat seats there will be. Can't leave anybody standing at the dock!
Trip was fine, thanks. Mission accomplished - UK house sold so you're stuck with this Limey now :D
Tom, I would say the only safe and viable area for a tube is at the bottom end of Sandmound. It's a dead end, no wake zone with little current and Ive never seen any Yahoos that far down. Richard does v well down there but I don't so I'm looking forward to picking his brains on Saturday :)
Mike

David Lee
07-14-2006, 07:58 PM
UK house sold so you're stuck with this Limey now :D

=D> =D> =D>

Congratulations !!

Make sure to make the time to come up Sacramento way next spring - I'll make sure you get to play w/ the Stripers/Steelhead/Shad .

mikenewman
07-14-2006, 08:12 PM
It's a date :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Charlie Gonzales
07-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Yeah, I will have a spot on my boat. I'm not very good with the trolling motor so be warned. Also, I will be leaving very early on Saturday morning and was hoping others would want to caravan.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Some will be leaving early from Sac.

I think 4:00am would be a good time to start.

I think that you can see at 5:00am.

Jim Christensen and I are going down on Friday afternoon to get his 17' blue & white Harbor Craft center console launched and tied up at Lundborg's. We are staying in Martinez for the night so we can get an early start.

I believe David Lee is tent camping at Lundborg's on Friday night and we will be barbecuing at his camp sight at noon. Bring something to through on the grill. I will be bringing some extra hot dogs and sodas/water.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Lastest list:

__________________________________________________ ___

Richard - 13.5' outboard skiff (w/guest)?

Mike Newman - 16' aluminum outboard skiff (w/extra seat)

Hairstacker - red inflatable kayak!

David Lee & Candida (?) - 12' Jon boat (camping Friday night)

Charlie Gonzales - 14' Jon boat (w/Chucky Won?)

Nightgoat & Chris V. - Fiberglass tri-hull (camping Friday night)

Dreamingincolor - can't make it this time.

Eugene Graham -14' Wilderness Tarpon Kayak?

Adam Grace (?) has to work that day?

Ben-doc - could not get his flight changed

Bill Kiene & Jim Christensen - 17' white Harbor Craft skiff

Kevin Doran - big white Boston Whaler

Rickey Noel Mitchell & friends - kayakers (camping)

Terry Thomas & Terry Jenkins - new Jetcraft

Keep us posted if you are coming.

Chris V
07-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Nightgoat & I are having some electrical issues with our 1971 fiberglass tri-hull- imagine that! :shock: However, we're planning on being there on Friday evening for some late fishing and camping to be out on the water early Sat. We do have one extra seat, but the boat only fishes two at a time. If someone wants to take their chances with our electrical system and my terrible casting :lol: your welcome aboard.

Looking forward to this for sure :D

Rickey Noel Mitchell
07-19-2006, 11:42 PM
I will be there along with a couple of yakfishing buddys. Will Loundbords be full up?

Richard
07-20-2006, 01:09 AM
I haven't been up there since last Friday, but there seemed to be room. Go here for the contact information and tell them you are coming they will reserve you a space.

http://www.lundborglanding.com/contact.html

gryhackl,

When KD and I were up there on Friday we saw a fellow flycasting from a float tube on Piper Slough, so it can be done, but you have to be VERY careful, there are a lot of yahoos up there speeding around and some of them are either a little less than sober or just naturally crazy. :roll: However, Piper Slough is a no wake area and even the crazies seem to observe that rule. Just don't get outside the no wake zone or :shock:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Jim Christensen and I are headed down to Lundborg's this afternoon.

We will probably fish a little tonight and leave the boat in the water overnight.

My cell phone : 530-867-1219

I think most will be fishing from 5:00am till 10:00am.

We will have a barbeque at David Lee's shady camp sight at noon. David has some chicken and I am bringing hot dogs.

You might bring a folding chair?

Kevin will give us some top water tips after lunch. If it is really too hot to fish by 10:00am maybe he can do it before lunch?

It is overcast again this morning which is really good.

Rickey Noel Mitchell
07-21-2006, 01:55 PM
Hey Bill I'll be coming in tomorrow morning as early as possible.
I could do my seminar when eveer you think is best. I could actually do it in Davids shade. Let me know.