PDA

View Full Version : Gurgler Patterns

rhelliott
06-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Looking for patterns for the Gurgler (sp). Can anybody point me in the right direction, can't seems to find any tieing info for this pattern.

SullyTM
06-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Go to www.danblanton.com Click TYING INSTRUCTIONS

The Gurgler is a great pattern...

Enjoy! Thom

DonCooksey
06-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Anyone tried gurlers for trout? Here is a an orange Hexagenia gurgler to imitate Hex as they emerge and noisily shed their shuck:

http://www.jackgartside.com/fly_hexagenia_gurgler.htm

I just tied up a few in advance of a trip to Michigan in a couple of weeks to fish the Hex hatch on the Au Sable. Thom knows where I am talking about. There is a nice fly shop there that posts records of "trophy" catches on their web site (but only if you promised that you released them!). The number of large browns that were caught on gurglers last year is amazing, so I have to try. http://gateslodge.com/

I'm thinking that fishing gurglers would be a nice activity while waiting for the spinner fall and hatch in the late evening before dark.

Thanks to Bill for supplying ready-made gurgler foam strips at his shop for tying these. I picked up a few when I was up in Sacramento a couple of weeks ago. I'll let you know if I catch anything on them in Michigan.

SullyTM
06-02-2006, 07:11 AM
Don...Good looking Gurgler pattern.

Catch a few Au Sable trout for me. BTW, PM your address to me and I'll send ya a few All-Night Hexes for your trip to the Water, Winter, Wonderland... :D

Later, Thom

Richard
06-02-2006, 10:23 PM
One of the critical issues in tying Lee's Gurgler is getting the right foam. The easiest way is buying it from Lee. He has a great assortment of colors and they are all cut perfectly so it's hard to make a mistake. If you want to get foam yourself make sure it's really dense or the pattern won't work the way one of Lee's will. I have a bunch of foam I got cheap ( so it's not quite the quality of Lee's, but it works) and I will send you a small sample if you would like one. (I'll just send a small square so you have to cut the shapes yourself. But the price is right.) :D

rhelliott
06-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Richard thanks for the foam offer. I got some of Lee's foam, I"ll tie couple up and see how they work.
Ron

Lee Haskin
06-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Hi Ron,

In addition.....

I would recommend that you use Uni Big Fly thread to tie my Pre-Cut Foam. This foam is very tough, and dense, and requires a strong thread to secure it to the shank. Kevlar will work but is very thin, and tends to cut the foam. :x

I also use CA glue (or Super Glue) on the wraps that secure the foam. This really locks the foam in place. :wink:

Please feel free to contact me directly for tying instructions/illustrations, or any specific questions about using this foam. [Kiene's also carries my Striper Handbook, which has some tying instruction in the back.] :)

$.02

Cheers,
Lee Haskin

Lee's Fly Specialties
www.gurglersonline.com