PDA

View Full Version : Yuba this past Sunday...

rrivera
05-30-2006, 08:35 AM
Excellent day to be on the river...! Had the whole run under the bridge, river left all to myself for most of the early afternoon.

5k or so was the flow, temp right about 51ish or so... Only fish that cooperated to hand was two in the 14 inch range while I was stripping hairwing streamers along the banks. Missed a grab that felt gator, but for all I know it could have been rock waiting to pounce on my bait pattern as well.

Swallows at about 1400 were eagerly skimming the surface at what looked like 20 minute hatch of a tiny mayfly (Wish I had those eyes..!!).

Caddis did not start till about 16:30, but that hatch was very brief as well.
Unlike several weeks back when the water was at 8k, there were fish working then; 2 hatches on Sunday and no fish working.

Switched to my nymph rig, with 3 bug combo's using several stages of each hatch, still no fin love on that dicipline.

It was windy, but it did favor the right handed caster. All in all - great day to forget lifes pressures and just enjoy the sounds of flowing water, nature paying you no mind, and a few fish letting you know they made it through the winter. Life is good..... Get out and fish.... -RR

Chris Gearhart
05-30-2006, 05:16 PM
rrivera, did you float it or wade ? I heard some folks floated on Monday and had a great day. I will be floating on Friday if flows cooperate.

Chris

rrivera
05-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Hey Chris... When I went on Sunday I was wading. I have a few choice places where I usually find a few.

I was also on-call for that weekend and did not have the opportunity to float it. I am tuning up the Hyde for the season, and hope to get out there soon myself.

The Yuba is a tempermenatal river isn't it...? I'm glad those folks on Mon had a great day. Sunday was giving but generous.

See ya on the water Chris... Let me know how the take in / out's look at the low flows at Sycamore. I don't have the club access and the common bridge to Sycamore float is all I can do.

Take care - Ray

bolden
05-30-2006, 09:31 PM
What was the water clarity like?

rrivera
05-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Water clarity with a scale rating of 5 = 3.5

koffler
06-01-2006, 09:15 PM
I floated the river on Sunday as well - a solo adventure. Fishing was tough for me - a couple of nice fish to the boat but not many in the grand scheme of things. Should be much better when the river drops to 2500 or so.