PDA

View Full Version : Delta Winds can make for tough fishing

JerryInLodi
05-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Got home early enough to wet my small 14'er and run up the Mokelumne to Hog and Sycamore sloughs yesterday afternoon. By the time I was on the water and fishing the wind had increased to the point where, even tucked up right against the levee in the lee of the wind, it felt like it was blowing 20mph.

It got to the point that even with the trolling motor, I couldn't hold my self in the lee of the levee. I packed it in and headed back to Terminus. The rollers were coming up the river as if I was in San Francisco Bay. I did stick a few bass but the wind took all the fun out of it.

If you're going to fish the delta for BB, check the weather reports. If you see predicted wind speeds of above 12 for places like Rio Vista, think again. That was the posted wind speed for when I was out on the water on weather underground.

Fortunately the mornings are usually much more inviting.

Hairstacker
05-25-2006, 09:10 PM
Yep, that blasted Delta wind! Aways seems like the Delta is much more windy, more often, in the spring and earlier summer, with more calm days in the fall. All with exceptions, of course.

I've found the wind reports I've used somewhat unreliable -- I've written off days based on predictions, only to find perfect wind conditions when the morning arrived. And vice versa. :? I've also experienced many days when the wind conditions changed throughout the day. Some days it's windy in the morning and calms down in the afternoon and other days it's just the opposite.

Nowadays, I usually just step outside in the morning and see how much the trees are moving and plan accordingly, hoping for the best. Generally speaking though, unless conditions are truly bad (like you've described), there are usually good options if you have some kind of watercraft that can put you on the leeward side of things.

mikenewman
05-26-2006, 08:47 AM
Hi Jerry
I see from your web site that you have a MK with co pilot on the Triumph but have you tried the autopilot feature? I've got it on mine and together witha belt mounted co pilot I find it does considerably reduce the number of manual corrections you have to make when trying to hold a course. (Presumably the Triumph is easier to control than your tinny with the greater weight and displacement?)
I'm always curious as to why I've never seen anybody fly fishing the Delta from a bass boat. With the low profile, wide beam and clean decks they seem well suited and certainly seem to hold position better than my 16' Crestliner Canadian - or am I missing something?
I agree with Mike - the weather forecasts can be iffy. I've got WeatherBug on my desktop and that shows live conditions for Antioch including a wether vane for wind sped and direction. The Sugar Barge also has current wind conditions from a station fixed to the it's roof at Frank's: http://www.sugarbarge.com/weather.html
Ultimately, though, with a 1/0 deer hair bug stuck in my ear and 30 yards of WF9 wrapped around my neck, I console myself with the thought that if I didn't fish the rough how could I ever fully appreciate the smooth?
Cheers, Mike.

JerryInLodi
05-26-2006, 10:33 AM
I had an AP on my Western 16 and the Minnkota on the Triumph is an AP as well. It's truely hands off fishing most of the time and great for places like Franks and Mildred, you can set up on a line of tules and run the whole line, casting a foot away from the weed beds never having to touch the motor.

Bass boats would probably work well but it would be necessary to have some kind of line container since even with a small breeze, line would end up in the water.

The other problem with novice flyfishers on a boat like a bass boat is that you will probably end up fishing one out of the water. You'd be amazed how clumsy some people are when learning to fly fish. I've seen people stumble while practice casting on dry land in a grassy park! Beginning casters sometimes use a lot of, "body english!"

I didn't consider a bassboat when I purchased the Triumph because I wanted a boat capable of blue water fishing. I spend my summers in Baja and the Triumph is definately capable. Owners on the east coast regularly run from the mainland to the Bahamas. On the west coast they go out as far as 60 miles for albies.

With novice fly fishers, they should stay inside the boat since the gunnel is 29 inches above the deck and has a padded bolster for leaning against.

The biggest disadvantage is going to be the windage that the boat will encounter, especially in the spring. Most of the time sheltered water can be found but recently the wind has really HOWLED in the afternoons and at that point, I think that fishing becomes a lot less fun and a lot more work.