PDA

View Full Version : Truckee River

East Fork
05-25-2006, 10:37 AM
you guys might want to fish the truckee this weekend, it's about 540cfs. anyways hit up just past town it's real heavy, but its been cool up here for about a week so you have a little window right now. it's been pretty good this week, get 'em down!

PatrickM
05-25-2006, 10:24 PM
East Fork,
Thanks for the report. Any clues on flies? Green drakes, stones, streamers? I'm hoping to sneak away from the fiancee for an afternoon and get out on the T.
Thanks.

bigtj
05-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Golden stones, bird's nests, PT's, streamers. Streamer fishing a lot more effective out of a raft. No dry fly action to speak of. Stick to the water above Boca. The water is still very cold and fishing is still tough. Work your butt off and you'll do well to stick 4 or 5 fish. It's still early.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-26-2006, 09:45 AM
Mid-June through July is my favorite time for the main Truckee River.

If you are going up there a half dozen times this summer then go for it.

If you might only get time for one shot at it I would go just after the 4th of July.

The Truckee River is the closest river with wild large Brown Trout.

Really deep nymph is a way to get them in the day time.

J.R. Hubbard
05-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Cezch Nymphing is the only way to go in off color fast water!!

Rip em!

JerryInLodi
05-26-2006, 02:54 PM
A primer on Czech Nymphing
Based on observing a demonstration by Oliver Edwards
By Terry Lawton

http://www.fishandfly.co.uk/tledit0500a.html

PatrickM
05-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks guys. I'll post a report if I get out there.

jmccandless
05-27-2006, 11:37 PM
Looks like they have lowered the flows quite a bit this weekend. Does anyone know whether they plan to turn them back up after the holiday?

I am considering running up to the T/LT Monday to fish all day, but I wonder if the flows will get turned up any time Monday...