PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishers come in many different profiles

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-25-2006, 08:36 AM
Fly fishers have many different styles.

We have customers who come in only once or twice a year to get ready for their yearly 10 day road trip to Montana in July. Some have never bought a fishing license in California.

Some come in only once or twice a year getting ready for their traditional week long vacation at the same destination in California every year in August.

Some only fly fish small streams for trout that they hike in to.

I know people who only fly fish for Shad. Some every day of the season for 2 months or more.

Andy and Jim and a few others fly fish all year long for Stripers from a boat.

Some only fly fish lakes for trout from a V-boat or pontoon boat.

I have met some that only tie flies and have never fished.

Several specialize in black bass fly fishing for the most part.

Some only fish on streams.

Some belong to the Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club in San Francisco and fish very little.

Then there are the group I belong to that will fly fish for anything, anywhere as long as we can fly cast.

OK.....here is my point, after all these years I have noticed that there are many different ways to enjoy this great sport of fly fishing.

Hairstacker
05-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Quite a coincidence, I was thinking about this very subject just a couple of days ago and even thought of conducting a poll. Would also be interesting to note what compels folks to specialize. . . . Convenience (i.e., proximity)? Setting? Fish size and fighting ability? Economics? Challenge? Approach? Venue? I'm sure most of these play a role for many. . . .

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Hi Mike,

I just noticed this over the years and talk about it once and a while.

Many can't believe it.

I like to take the ones who fish every year in Montana and have never had a CA fishing license and get them set up on a trip to the Upper Sac in June with my veteran guide friend Fred Gordon. That usually opens their eyes a bit.

Or get them on the Klamath for some hot Halfpounders in Sept/Oct.

Floating them down the lower American River standing in a boat with Polarized glasses so they can see some over 20 pound Stripers swim under the boat is exciting too.

If you know where to go in California and when to go there we have some pretty cool fly fishing here.