PDA

View Full Version : Feather River report - Wed.

Tony Buzolich
05-24-2006, 10:58 AM
As Bill just mentioned in his report about rivers dropping, the feather has dropped to just under 6000cfs from 12000cfs yesterday. The Feather is actually clearer than the Yuba and warmer at 59/60 degrees.

This morning we were on the water at 5:15. First order of business was to teach a newbie how to cast a fly rod, not just a shooting head, but a real beginer who had never cast any fly rod of any kind. Uugh :(

Headed up the Yuba and water is up from yesterday and colder. No rising fish so we drift on down and start marking tons of fish on the graph,SHAD! They had to be SHAD by the thousands, all the same size. Occassionally we'd mark one big ominous looking fish that had to be a BIG striper following the schools of shad.

Moved out into the Feather, water cleared, and temp. came up. BINGO :P Fish on! Then another, then another again. Even my newbie got a hookup and landed his first striper.

Ended the morning with seven stripers and two very happy first timers who had never caught anything on a fly before.

Get out there,
TONY

hurleyt
05-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Hi Tony,

Do you know if there are any shad in the Feather up by Vance access? Can they get past the bend now? I was thinking of taking a trip up this weekend, and have found that area to be good wading water.

Tony Buzolich
05-24-2006, 03:58 PM
I just read another report of shad being taken up that way by a reliable source.
The river seems to have everything in it right now from sturgeon to salmon to stripers to shad, along with all the resident trout up in the lowflow.

Now a word of caution. The river is still running at around 6000cfs. I like wading up that way around Vance, Palm, Palermo at around 2500cfs.

Be careful,
TONY

Jay Murakoshi
05-25-2006, 07:59 AM
Hopefully the rivers will still have fish in them when I return home in a couple more weeks. I'm looking forward to some shad and striper fishing.
Here, the winds have died down the fishing should pick up. The group has just left for the airport and will be getting my next group in on Friday.
I hope to have some good dorado reports on Sunday

Jay