PDA

View Full Version : Shad are in all the Valley rivers now............

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-24-2006, 10:37 AM
...........we just need the flows to come down.

They are suppose to be lowering American the river to 5,000 cfs for the big holiday weekend.

This might be a great time to try the river for Shad.

Mike L
05-24-2006, 03:38 PM
I might be going to the A this weekend for shad. Problem is I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FISH FOR SHAD!! I have never done it before but heard it is really easy and very fun so any advice/ techniques and flies would be great. thanks for the help.

-Mike

nightgoat
05-24-2006, 05:19 PM
Hey Mike -

My rig for Shad is a 9' 7wt with an SA Streamer Express line (sinking head w/integrated running line), 3-6' level leader (8-12lb test, depending on what I have handy) and Shad flies. Shad flies are usually very bright colors (hot pink, flourescent chartreuse, etc.) except for the Best Shad Fly Ever -- the Wet Pinky :D :thumbsup: If you make it up this weekend, shoot me an email and I'll give you some details on where to go :fish: and maybe meet up 8)

Oh yeah, the cool thing about Shad fishing is you never know when you might tie into something else....

http://www.kiene.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=3280

J.R. Hubbard
05-25-2006, 08:43 AM
In the grand scheme of fly fishing, Shad is not the most difficult.

Ed Wahl
05-29-2006, 07:03 AM
Seems the sudden change in flows kinda shut things down for a day or so. Shad reappered on Sunday but still not red hot fishing yet. I guess I have to believe stripers exist now, I saw one track a foot long shad on a line then heave up and bite it. :shock: . Not sure about going in the water now, it was like watching a shark attack on tv. Did manage about half a dozen shad, should keep getting better every day now.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-29-2006, 08:37 AM
Week nights after work for shad now should be wonderful.

Put your gear in the car.

June should be very good.