PDA

View Full Version : Bass Lake Report

SullyTM
05-23-2006, 07:25 AM
For those of you looking for an out of town excursion you might try Bass Lake, located about 15 miles south of Yosemite by Oakhurst. Took my son there for a couple of days while he was home from college. Camped in the Lupine Campground within the National Park which borders the south side of the lake. 80 degree days...50 degree nights.

The lake is turning into a Lake Tahoe clone :( Developement is on-going and the amount of power boat, jet ski activity is detremental to fishing IMO. No way should you go there on a summer weekend!!

Shoreline fishing is varied with several coves offering the angler many opportunities. Not alot of in water cover though...If you have a boat, float tube, kayak etc. then you'll have the ability to work the banks more effectively. Fly fishing from the shore is challenging as there is always a pine tree behind you :P Soooooooo, bring the spin casting gear for a break...I did and I couldn't have been happier. It was the first time in 2 years that I've used this gear! Talk about walking and chewing gum at the same time :D

The results: We had a "honey hole" directly across from our camp site...On his third cast my son landed a 3lb(approx) 18" Largemouth, using a pink minnow fly pattern!!! He used a spin casting unit as he doesn't fly fish. In fact, he used several "flys" in lue of spin casting lures.
I proceeded to land a 2 pounder...Over the course of 2 days we caught about eight bass in the 1-3 pound range. Several LARGE bluegill and some small bass and bluegills. On the fly I caught fish using a variety of flys...poppers, Klinks, purple streamer from Sweden, fishable realistics...

Lost alot of flys and lures but I did rescue the magic Pink Minnow by wading into the lake and picking it off of a submerged log.

All-in-all a good trip with my son who is now back at college for the summer...

BTW...don't forget the sun screen if you go to Bass Lake...

Later.

Hairstacker
05-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Nice report Thom, sounds like you guys had a great time! 8)

Rickey Noel Mitchell
05-26-2006, 09:04 AM
On a week day Bass Lake is an excellent lake for fishing.
On a weekend it's a nightmare. It's one of many in the area as far as warmwater flyfishing goes

SullyTM
05-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Mike...Spending a couple of days with my son meant more to me than catching fish! BUT, it was nice to catch some of those bass! I'll get some photos together...

Rickey...I'm not familiar with this area of the State. Can you suggest other lakes?!

Tight lines. Thom

Rickey Noel Mitchell
05-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Millerton is really hot right now It's down 41 about a 40 minute drive. Lot of area to fish from shore . Check out the article page on my site there's one that California Fly Fishermen published that I wrote a few years ago on Millerton.there are others Eastmen, Hensley. All are good warmwater fisheries.

Jay Murakoshi
05-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Thom,

I live about 10 minutes from Millerton lake and 25 minutes from Hensley.
I've been using a pram most of the time. The bass were starting the grab before I left for baja and the water level was down due too releases but I'm sure the level has come up now due to snow melt.
Millerton is one of my favorite lakes for fishing carp. My other one is San Antonio in Southern Monterey County

I will do more lake exploring when I get back in two weeks. the bite should be on at every lake.

Jay

SullyTM
05-26-2006, 11:44 AM
PARTY at Jay's house in 2 weeks!!! :D

Sounds like alot of good water to put on the "To fish" list.

BTW Jay...I caught my first ever carp on the fly a few weeks ago. Clean hook-up and had it to hand ready for a "Say Cheese" moment. Damn thing shivered, shook and said "Adios!" It was about a 15 minute battle up and down the creek I was fishing. It was at least 24"-28" long and fat. I used my 8 weight rig and a H Driller Carp Fly. Had 2 other hook-ups but nothing landed! Mucho fun.

Later.