PDA

View Full Version : Crowely Lake Info

Pimpinmeat
05-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Just wondering if anyone's been up there latley. I'm going up there Fri and Sat, reports have been good but we all know that these can be slightly exageratted. Any up to date info would be appreciated.

Brad Blancett
05-22-2006, 09:07 PM
My report is Fishing is great ! I used a #18 Tiger Midgeand Zebra Midge under a #12 olive damsel pattern and had 40/50 fish days tip of sandy point into Mc Gee bay 12 foot of water keeping the bottom fly 6 inches off the bottom. Fluoro tippet of 4 foot . flies were 20 in apart. Below is the Sierra Drifters report . Look for their Fleet and you will have found the fish !!

Crowley Lake: Excellent

We have to go back to the summer of ‘99 to encounter such a great start to the Crowley season. The numbers have been above expectations most days with 12-14 inch “footballs with tails” the average size rainbow being caught and released. These chunky fish pull like nothing else and are a hoot on a 5wt.

The water clarity remains excellent and there are only a few weed beds popping up in some of the bays. At this time the lake level is rising slowly as the flows on the Lower Owens River are still holding at 370cfs. The weather has been a mix of perfect with some T-storms and very gusty winds emerging in the afternoon. It has been unseasonably warm and mild for May. FInd the outhouse off the end of sandy point and 12 foot of water .

Hope this helps ,

Brad

Look for the best concentrations of trout to be in the 11-15 foot range most days. Sandy Pt. the Hiltons and Alligator have been the most consistent areas. McGee Bay has been spotty, but is good when it’s on. The perch are thick this season and you will have flurries of the rascals that will provide you with “target practice” in hook setting while still water nymphing. The chironomids are hatching in big numbers and make sure you have a #18 or 20 Drifters Gillie or Crystal Emerger tied to the upper hook during this period. Crystal Tigers and Zebras #16-18 are deadly as the lower fly; keep them 10 inches off the bottom.

The first callibaetis mayflies have shown up and if you choose to tug a streamer I suggest a Hares Ear or one of our new styles of light Punk Perch patterns #14-16. The callibaetis nymph is a swimmer and will be found near the inlets here on Crowley. The gulpy, aggressive splashes you witness in the morning are evidence of trout feeding on the emerging mayfly. The low light periods are best for this type of fly fishing as the fish go deeper and are bottom grubbing mid-day.

Be prepared for the perch fry annihilation this August and September. Streamer fishing will be as good as it gets along the weed lines this summer and fall.

The lake has been empty mid-week and there are plenty of really nice flat bottoms available to rent at the Fish Camp if you choose to do it on your own. The staff at the Fish Camp will set you up with the right Drifters flies and put you in a clean, well equipped rental. Call 760-935-4301 for information. www.crowleylakefishcamp.com

T