PDA

View Full Version : Casting Lessons

Rick J
05-21-2006, 10:35 AM
I spent an hour yesterday with Jeff Putnam working on distance casting. Although I have been fly fishing for over 30 years and have taught classes at HSU for around 15 years, having a critical person who really understands casting technique watch your casting is immensely helpful. Unless you can videotape yourself, it is difficult to evaluate your own casting and it can be difficult to pick out mistakes.

Jeff was able to quickly point out a couple of things I have a habit of doing that afffect my consistency at distance.

I would highly recommend spending an hour or so with Jeff to fine tune your casting no matter what stage you are at in this ever learning sport.

Thanks Jeff!!

Rob
05-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Ditto!!!!!
A casting lesson with Jeff will be the best $$$ you will ever spend on fly fishing. :D People will spend $300.00 waders ,$500.00 rod $300.00 reel ,$150.00 vest and can't cast ,but will not spend $40.00- $60.00 on lessons. All of us in our family have had lesson's with Jeff Putnam and he is great. :D :D
Rob.

Jeff C.
05-22-2006, 07:57 AM
I just took a single spey class from Jeff yesterday afternoon and it was money well spent. Being self taught, he gave me pointers to help my normal roll cast. By the end of the clinic, I got the river left cast down but have to work on my river right cast (snake roll). Thanks Jeff.

CW
05-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Ask someone like Joe Shirshac or Chuck Campagna (guys who have fished longer then many of us have been alive) and they will tell you the single most important thing to learn if you are just starting to flyfish, is the casting. Once the catching begins, its possibly presentation, but in order to present it well, you've got to get it there. Bugs do matter, but how many times have you made a good presentation with the sorriest bug that didn't match the natural in any way shape or form, and stuck fish?