PDA

View Full Version : Kelsey Ranch Bass Event

k.hanley
05-18-2006, 11:25 AM
I wanted to take a moment and thank the owner of Kelsey Ranch for making our fundraising event a winner. John has always supported our fly fishing community. He’s been a terrific partner in helping shape the warm water fisheries around Central California.

Yesterday I had the honor of hosting four anglers at Kelsey Ranch. Al Smatsky (fly fishing manager of the ranch property), myself (fly fishing nut), and John Ryzanch (owner of Icon Products) designed a package day which was auctioned off at the recent NCCFFF Hall of Fame Dinner.

Al and I provided instruction, gear, guiding (boat and afoot), and lots of laughs, while John R. was the master chef. Man did John put on an amazing BBQ experience!

This is the kind of experience where everyone is a winner. The fisheries benefit from the fundraising effort. The attendees benefit from the field experience. The property owner benefits by strengthening community involvement. It’s an awesome winning combo in my mind. It was an honor to be a part of this package.
Cheers, Ken
PS: The fishing report……….
1. Excellent early morning top water action. Used smaller sliders (tiny gurglers) and hopper patterns. Grass flats, shallow tapering points. Fish from 1-5 pounds.
2. Mid-morning wide open top water on larger poppers (especially frog style patterns). Transition zones near flats and wood. Fish 2-6 pounds.
3. Late morning bite fished subsurface. Dragonfly nymphs were red hot. Transition zones 3-6 feet deep. Fish 2-6+ pounds. Largest fish lost at hand…w-e-l-l over 6 pounds!
4. Lunch break………fantastic. Pigged out.
5. Afternoon wind was up; fish were down for the most part. Sink tip lines and floating lines. Dragonfly nymphs, crawdad patterns. A few on popper/sliders. Fish 2-6+ pounds.

Great day. Great camaraderie. Excellent fishing.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the great report Ken.

I will have to get down there next spring with some friend who go every year.

I am sure it is still going to be very good but I have too much to do right now.

I think Kelsey Bass Ranch is a top place to fish.