PDA

View Full Version : Schooling Jacks

Jay Murakoshi
05-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Just a short note today. I rode with Jim Christiansen and Keith Nelson today. Not a lot of fish to speak of but we did have quality fish.
We found schools of Jacks of Las Areans Hotel. Big Busting Schools and Grande. I would say the smallest jack in the crowd was around 25lbs and the largest would probably of tipped the scale at 50lb plus. Jim hooked into one and his knots were tested - FAILED. Keith hooked into a couple, KNOT FAILURE and we had one to the boat but it made it's last run and was nailed by a 800lb sea lion. I guess like marlin fishing, you could say it was caught, we touched the leader. It was probably between 35 and 40lbs. Closer to 40. Keith was huffing and puffing. Heck, I was getting tired watching him tugged on this beast

Gotta run, tomorrow could be better.... Glassy water alllll day

Jay

Darian and group - practice, practice, practice Then if you think you have it down, practice more.... I'm talking about the knots

sculpin
05-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Nice reports Jay. You are keeping me wound up for my trip in late June. Keep up the good work.

Mark

Darian
05-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Jay, Great report. Those Jack's must've been eating their Wheaties....

I guess I've been reading your mind..... My fishing partner and I have been using Bill Nash's book as a resource for tying knots and practice tying as much as we can.... 8) 8) 8) What do you think of twisted leader butt sections for that fishing???

Can you give me some idea of how many pre-tied leaders we'll need :?: I'm bringing some additional leader/wire materials as well.... 8) 8) 8)