PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY!!

SullyTM
05-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Patience + 8 weight + the right fly = CARP ON!!

Yes, I finally hooked and landed a carp...What a rush!!! Had two more hook-ups but they broke off after a few minutes! Definitely worth the wait!

Thom

smokeater
05-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Come on Sully, tell us more........we need details. I have always wanted to get into some carp.

SullyTM
05-13-2006, 05:25 PM
smokeater...I don't think so :lol:

Carp, IMHO are the most difficult freshwater fish out there to try and HOOK and LAND! I am not the best fly angler but I have been after this elusive fish for almost 3 years!!! :o One of the BEST teachers I've had the past few years...Professor Lee...would be proud of his pupil!

There is a creek that juts off the Pacheco Slough here in Negativeland, CA called Walnut Creek. This time of the year carp venture in to spawn...I've counted approximately 100 carp in a 200 yard stretch of H2O...

I went out this AM around 6ish hoping to hook up...Steelhead even come this way :D I put together my 8 weight last night and tyed on THE fly!(more later)...I took out all of my flys from my vest and had only this fly. One and done :roll: What was I thinking??? The wind was whipping out of west at about 15 mph, so casting wasn't easy! The Creek is down...finally! and you can sight fish the carp and the Sacramento Suckers. No Steelies :cry: After about 20 minutes I had a solid grab and the fight was on!!! 15 minutes later I beached Mr.C and was getting out the digital camera when he bolted!!! Bummer! HAd 2 more hook-ups but
THE fly was spit out! I did manage to catch a dinner plate sized turtle :shock:

smokeater, you HAVE to find a body of water that has carp. You'll have the time of your life :D

You probably want to know what fly I used? :wink: It's a secret. Shhhhhhhhhhhh....It's called the H's Carp Driller:

The April 2006 issue of California Fly Fisher has a cover article on carp...If you can't get your hands on a copy, PM your address and I send you a copy...and anyone else too!

CARP ON!!!! SullyTM

David Lee
05-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Carp, IMHO are the most difficult freshwater fish out there to try and HOOK and LAND! I am not the best fly angler but I have been after this elusive fish for almost 3 years!!! :o One of the BEST teachers I've had the past few years...Professor Lee...would be proud of his pupil!

:D :D :D
Ohhhhhhh ..... you have NO IDEA !!!!

How big was the Carp ?? They pull pretty good , don't they :evil: ??

Nice Turtle , also - I snagged one in a pond once .......

David =D>

Darian
05-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Hey Thom,.... You actually had a turtle take a fly (in the mouth :?: ) :shock: You sure you weren't using garden hackle and juicin' it :?: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lotsa fun, tho.... Good catch.

Sturmer White
05-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Nice going Thom. I try Folsom everyonce in awhile,but have only laned one in 2 years. I will go check out my April issue. Thanks for the report.
I picked up a 3 1/2 to 4 lb. Large mouth the other night on a size 12 damsel nymph,plus a few others. I haven't had as much luck this year on my Gurgler.Go figure!

Hairstacker
05-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Congratulations Thom!! Always cool to add another fish species to the list of those you've caught on the fly. 8) Some make it an annual goal.

MSP
05-16-2006, 05:34 PM
You are the MAN Thom! My only fly caught Carp came on a Stonefly Nymph in a farm pond in Colorado. That was enough for me, One and Done!

Nice job on the poor turtle, I didn't think that season opens until June [-X