PDA

View Full Version : New Classified Advertising Program

Gregg Machel
05-08-2006, 01:31 AM
Kiene's Board Members,

We have installed a new classified advertising program that we will be using instead of the message board.
This new program will give you the ability to sell your gear and communicate directly with potential buyers.
You will also be able to upload a picture (under 100K) and with dimension of (640 x 480) or less.
This will require you to setup an account with a valid email (unfortunately it will not use the same account as the message board here).
The new classified system will also show you the most popular ads, and allow you to search for what you are looking for.
Please take a look at it and start using this immediately. Its still free.

http://kiene.com/classified

I will be locking the "classified" topic so we do not duplicate our ads. If you currently have anything that has been put up on the "classified" topic here but not sold yet, please ad it to the new classified system.

If you have any questions or problems with this, email me directly at gregg@kiene.com

Darian
05-08-2006, 08:14 AM
Hi Gregg,.... Not sure if I'm just missing something but I don't see a heading for Classifieds on the main page or in Links. Will you have an icon or heading up, later :?: :?: If not, what will be available to "click" on :?: :?:

Thanks....

Gregg Machel
05-08-2006, 08:57 AM
I just put up a banner, thanks for the reminder. I was burning the midnight oil and neglected/forgot to do this. :)

JD
05-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Old system was better...

Now you have to sort through 3 different topics to see what's for sale, separate login must now be created to sell something, and there appears to be no way to see who is actually selling the item (very important consideration). Or am I missing something here?

Not a step in the right direction, I would argue...

Gregg Machel
05-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Very valid point about the name. I can add a required field to list the name of the person selling the item. If we need to, we can also reduce the number of categories. There is a search function in the main menu to search for anything specific you are looking for too.

With this program if you are interested in a product being advertised, you contact the person selling it directly, and then you would know who you are dealing with before completing the deal.

One of the advantages of this system is that everything has a time limit, and old completed deals are not on the system forever. Currently this is 30 days, but I can make this whatever we need. Once something is sold, it should be removed by the person posting the ad, but if they do not do this, it's removed automatically so it does not clutter up the system.

Our plan was to give this a while to see how it works, and make the decision as to if we keep it in after a few weeks.

Thanks for your feedback, it's greatly appreciated. Keep it coming!

Gregg
05-08-2006, 11:14 PM
I like the new classifieds page. Will you be logged into it automatically when you log into the BB page as well, or will you have to log in twice?

Gregg Machel
05-08-2006, 11:17 PM
It's a second login. That's the bad part about it. I would recommend creating the user account with the same name you use here and use the same password.

If this catches on, we can put some development work into it and try to link the two together.

fineandfar
06-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Gregg,
Call me a knucklehead but I cannot figure out how to post an ad in the new classifieds. I'm logged in & signed up. I'm not the most savvy, but have been able to work this out most everywhere else.
Help?
will

Gregg Machel
06-12-2006, 03:07 PM
We are back to the "old way" of doing the classifieds now, so continue using the message board here. I am leaving the "new classifieds" up for a while since there are some ads there already. I have disabled the ability to post new ads in the "new classifieds" though.

Act as if this never happened and post your stuff to sell here.

My/our lessons learned this time is that the "technically superior" solution isn't always the best solution.

fineandfar
06-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Gregg, thanks for the heads up....