PDA

View Full Version : Mendocino Coast

slage
05-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Nothwithstanding water flows, looking for info on Mendocino Coast Rivers.
Anyone know of any good sites with info regarding them?
I haven't been able to track down any info online as of yet. Overall, are the rivers fishable in the summer?

Thanks

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Most would fish the ocean this summer or any lakes or ponds up that way.

The rivers are mostly winter Steelhead fisheries usually good December through February.

Darian
05-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Hey Slage,....I'm not sure that any Mendocino Coastal stream is open to fishing during the summer. Bill's right about the fishery.

The rivers/streams are so heavily regulated to protect Salmon/Steelhead fisheries that you really have to be careful not to run afoul of the law. The lower parts of rivers/streams in that area are closed to all fishing when in-stream flows drop below specified levels. Almost every river/stream over there has flows below those levels during summer.

I you decide to go over there, I'd suggest dropping into a bookstore in Mendocino (township) called Bookwinkles and pick up a copy of a booklet titled Mendocino County Coastal Fishing & Diving Access Guide, by Rouvaishyana. This booklet describes where to go for shore fishing, diving and boat launching sites over there. :D :D :D :D

slage
05-06-2006, 03:40 PM
I guess thats part of the beauty...right?
Rouvaishyana, was right on the tip of my tongue...
Seriously, I'm going to fish for bass.

Andrew Burnham
05-08-2006, 11:45 AM
I was in Mendo last weekend for the first time (visiting family). Weather was perfect. Plenty of Abalone fishing/hunting happening. I tried the Navarro river briefly with no luck. There is a nice fly casting spot 4 miles upriver from Hwy 1. You can find it by heading up Hwy 128, look for a left turn guard rail with a dent in it and a cone resting nearby. Just hop the rail and the river is 50 feet away. I may return to fish the Albion river which is just South of Mendocino. I was told you can rent a canoe at the campground ( take the road just north of the bridge) and paddle upriver to some nice freshwater areas. Other than that, foot access seems private/impossible due to the steep canyon country. The Big River near Mendo looks like it has some upriver possibilities also. Even if you don't catch much, the flora/fauna in this eara is world class. From the redwoods in Navarro, to the majestic coastline, to the quiet narrow canyons, if its not raining then its definately worth the 3 hour drive from the bay area (especially if you have never been there). The second half of the drive starting at Hwy 128 is really fun, expecially with a little sports car on the twisty parts (no need to go fast! respect the local towns)