PDA

View Full Version : Folsom , May fifth .....

David Lee
05-05-2006, 06:49 AM
Just headin' out to the Mormon Island access (dike 8/Browns Ravine) , will post results upon return :evil: :evil:

David :D

Katz
05-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Good Luck!!

Looking forward to your report!

Katz

David Lee
05-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Fished 8:30 to 11:30 ......

Vis. good at over 4 feet , surface was mid-60s . Wind constant around 10-15 MPH . Spent most of the day draggin' stuff over the bottom for NADA , switched to Chart/white Clousers and Zonkers ..... three Spotted Bass , two at 15 inches , one slightly over 17 inches . All at the clear edge of the mudline biting on the drop . Cast to the bank , 2 or 3 hard strips , then , let it drop 2-4 feet - next strip .... ZAP !

Fun , fun , fun !!

David Lee
05-06-2006, 12:23 AM
One thing I forgot to mention ......

All Bass fights thus far have been EPIC - I've been using 12 lb. tippets on a soft-ish 7 wt. and have had those fishes just beat the $#%@ outta me . I don't recall many times that Black Bass have had that kind of fortitude in the past , must be the moon phase/water temps/old age/etc. .

Or the sun's gone to what's left of my brain :idea:

David :arrow:

Sturmer White
05-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Yeah! David.
Seems like I always do best on Clousers in Folsom.
It is going to get even better soon.
:lol:

Hairstacker
05-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Hi David! Nice fish, sounds like you had a good time! I'll take bass those sizes any 'ol day. 8) Noticed you've been spending more time at Folsom -- must be fairly close to the new digs?

Yesterday morning, I fished the Delta for bass and decided to fish topwater exclusively or not fish at all. Spent most of the morning using a very slow retrieve, thinking that's what was called for with the lower water temps and all. Didn't catch squat, although my fly did disappear a couple times in swirls. At the end of the session, I went to a fast retrieve and just missed hooking up on the biggest, longest, fattest bass that EVER went after one of my flies. :shock: I saw him/her porpoise out of the water and onto the fly and take it under but didn't hook up. :cry: I didn't pull it away or anything, it just didn't stick. It was easily over 20", probably a good 7 lb or so bass. Talk about an adrenaline rush! That event marked the last time I will ever use my 5 wt. rod again in the Delta. I got to thinking if I had hooked up, I probably would have been seriously thrashed. From here on out I will be using my 7 wt. and contemplating going to an 8 wt. :lol:

David Lee
05-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Hi Mike !!

I don't really care for Folsom ..... just the American is blown and my creeks ain't open yet !

If I were you , I'd fish NOTHING but the 8 down your way - sooner or later , you're gonna hook a MONSTER and wish you had a baseball bat :evil: