PDA

View Full Version : Clouser material advice.....

Fuzz
05-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Hi guys,
My first post. I'm not a fly fisherman but my dad used to be and my brother-in-law wants to be. Bro wants to fly fish for stripers (SLR and Delta) steelhead, maybe salmon, and ocean tide pools. So we bought him a Cortland CL Saltwater 9 ft. 8 wt., Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor size V with 300 gr. Gen 3 Depth Charge fly line (fast sink shooting head and intermediate running line) with 100 yds. 30lb dacron backing. (I had to study the internet ALOT to make these choices and hope this will be good for stripers to start. Orvis offered free line and backing for reel and rod was on sale so I hope I got decent stuff.) Now dad is being recruited to tie flies which he used to do and is interested in doing. I found out how good Clouser minnows are and also Gurglers. So I ordered Lee Haskins book on stripers and two of his flys, one Gurgler and one bullhead. I called Clouser's fly shop in PA. (didn't know about Kiene's yet) and ordered some things he uses: Griffin Supreme ceramic bobbin, Mustad 1/0 34007 SS hooks, 1/30th oz. eyes (red w/black pupils), and a 1/0 chartreuse/white Clouser minnow. My sister ordered dad a Renzetti Clouser Traveler vise, Renzetti tool caddy, and a pair of Dr. Slick all purpose 4" scissors. But what I DIDN'T order was the thread, hair, flash, adhesives, etc. etc. etc. I discovered there are LOTS of Clouser recipes and I don't know who is making the best one...including Mr. Clouser! (The one he sent me has solid black eyes which seems strange to me.) SO....if you guys were tying Clousers for San Luis Reservoir or the Delta, what specific materials, colors, brands, etc. would you use. Is there a recipe on the web you particularly like? My sister is getting dad a gift certificate to Kiene's so if you know the materials are sold there that would help. If you know someone who could show my dad how to tie a great Clouser that would be fantastic. (He lives at Lake of the Pines, between Auburn and Grass Valley.) I want to get him started off right. Heck, I've read so much about fly fishing I'm getting interested in doing it myself! I shall await your expert responses. Thanks!

Fuzz

David Lee
05-04-2006, 11:41 PM
Welcome to the board Fuzz ....

PM me your addy and I'll send a box of killing Striper flies for you fellas . Also , if you get to Fair Oaks or Kienes shop , I'll be happy to give up a three hour tying lesson .

David :D

Gregg Machel
05-05-2006, 12:51 AM
Fuzz,
Also, most the guys at Kiene's know how to tie clousers really well. If they are not busy, they can probably show you how to tie one, or at a minimum give you some good tips. They definitely have the material to tie these. Also, if you can hook up with David (as listed above me here), take advantage of that. He knows what he's doing!

Tony Buzolich
05-05-2006, 06:45 AM
Hi Fuzz,

On Sat. May 20th, at Johnson's in Yuba City, we're having our demo day and tying session as well. Yuba City is just a hop and a skip down the hill from Grass Valley and we'll have lots of tying and casting of striper stuff to try out. Also we'll have a free BBQ so you can grab a burger while you're watching things going on.

Come on down, everyone,
TONY

Adam Grace
05-05-2006, 07:44 AM
Tony I'll be working the Scientific Angler's booth that day. I'll see you there.

Darian
05-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Hey Fuzz,.... Sounds like you've already received a bunch of info/resources in other posts. I would only add that the Clouser fly was originated by Bob Clouser (who really does tie a greta fly of any sort). When fisherman/tyers speak of Clouser's, they're talking about a particular design or style of fly (a pattern, if you will). The materials that are used in completing/tying the fly may vary from the original and have over a period of time. Some my use all natural materials and others may use all or some synthetics.

I guess my point is that as long as the basic design is unchanged a clouser can include anything (even all black eyes).

Good luck.... It sounds like you've got an interesting project with a lot of very good info sources, here. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Hairstacker
05-05-2006, 01:07 PM
I agree with Darian, the Clouser has evolved into a type, with many natural and synthetic materials being used today.

That said, my first choice Clouser for the Delta is a flashtail one in chartreuse and white. Aside from the hook, mine consists of the following ingredients:

Danville flat waxed nylon thread, chartreuse color
red dumbbell eyes with black centers
chartreuse bucktail
white bucktail
20 or so strands of pearl Flashabou
4 strands of silver Krystal Flash

I like these tyed sparsely, with the "flashtail" referring to letting the Flashabou and Krystal Flash extend out past the bucktail at least 1/2".

I think most prefer a color combination that includes white -- gray and white, blue and white, olive and white, green and white, yellow and white, brown and white, etc., with chartreuse and white probably being the most popular for San Luis and the Delta (a guess on my part).

Regardless of colors chosen, keep in mind the dumbbell eyes are purposely intended to flip the fly over when it's being retrieved, with the hook point ending up riding up. (Many new Clouser tyers forget this.) In this flipped over position, the darker-colored hair should ALWAYS end up riding on top of any lighter-colored hair, in my opinion, to suggest the darker, upper outline of a baitfish. Otherwise, it will appear as a baitfish swimming upside down. To each his/her own, of course.

mark
05-05-2006, 01:40 PM
hello and welcome fuzz.

I have been tying a few clousers myself lately for stripers and black bass.

I found an online pattern that works very well for me and it includes a list of materials as well.

Most people just use bucktial for the traditional clousers but it can be substituted for many of the newer synthetics.. ie super har, craft fur etc.

heres the pattern link:

http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=85

PaulC
05-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Hey Fuzz,
I'm fishing mostly saltwater, but figured I'd throw in my 2 cents.
I am still a fan of bucktail, but have been messing with various synthetics.
Tried EP fiber clousers and they look good in the vise but foul quite a bit
Tried slinky fiber clousers and they foul way less, hold shape and allow for good control of profile. You can get that material with the flash built in or add your own angel hair, etc.
Ultrahair fouls like mad on that pattern. It can be made to work but is not my preference.
Last but not least is bucktail. Has the least amount of fouling although you only get so many flies per tail.
Fun thing with tying is the experimentation. So far in the surf, I don't think eye color makes much of a difference. Red eyes, dull black dazl eyes, gold eyes or just plain old bead chain eyes. Its more about the weight you want to load the fly with .
I don't even fold the material over the eyes anymore as it quite frankly gets pounded in the surf and starts to fray despite epoxy, etc. The fish don't seem to care.
Those are my 2 cents.
-Paul

Richard
05-06-2006, 04:46 PM
I looked at that site that Mark suggested. It raised a question for me. How many of you use a jig hook for a Clouser? I use it for a whistler but have never tried it for a Clouser and wonder how it works for those of you who tie it that way.

On the materials issue I usually use bucktail but have recently tried kinky hair with some interesting effects. I had avoided the synthetics until I heard Bob Clouser say at the San Mateo show that if you cut the synthetic hair on an angle after tying it in that it loses that floppy effect it has if left with all the ends the same length. I have been able to tie some really sparse patterns that still give a "fishy" shape, thin on top view and broad on side view. Still experimenting with it and my lack of success on stripers this winter doesn't say much for the success of my tying. :?

Fuzz
05-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Thanks for all your good info! I'm taking notes. David I PM'd you. You can tell alot about a board by how they treat new members and beginners. You guys get an A+. I hear the shad are on the way so I'm going to delve into those flys too.

Fuzz

Darian
05-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Hi Richard,..... I've been using jig hooks for clousers for about a year, now. I find them very usefull in the American and other rivers. Also, they're better than a "J" style hook in snaggy/woody areas in the delta. The two I've been using are the Eagle Claw #413 and The Gamakatsu (can't recall the model #). Make sure the hook you choose is the 60 degree bend model rather than 90 degree bend.... 8) 8) 8)

PaulC
05-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Another great fly that I've been messing with more lately in the surf is the jiggy. Conehead fly on straight shank or bent shank hook. Bucktail or synthetic on top and larger amount of angel hair, etc. on bottom to ride it inverted. Popovics has a good set of tying instructions in his book. Easy tye too.
Hooked into something really big on a pink/green version inshore that ended up sawing my flyline in half on structure in the process.
Who knows what that toad was but I felt undergunned with an 8wt.
-Paul

P.S. Hey Richard, I find running the scissors at an angle to the straight synthetic and not cutting can give a great profile. Just use the sharp edge to rip the synthetic into shape giving uneven edges and a nice taper. Makes you feel like a salon stylist, but seems to work well.