PDA

View Full Version : New To Calif Fly Fishing - Have Questions

Doyle
05-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Hello and Thank You Kiene's For Providing This Service -

I am new to California and have transplanted myself from (of all places) Alaska where the fishing was/is GREAT. I miss knowing the "ins and outs" of where to go to catch nice rainbows and steelhead. Oh well, I can re-learn what it takes down here.

I've been reading-up on northern California lakes as I now live in Davis and want to do some float tube fishing in this and more northern reaches.

Does anyone know if Frenchman or Lake Davis have good water conditions that are producing catches of rainbow? I'd love to try Frenchman but it's a long way to drive on a gamble. Is there any particular spot to put-n an dkick my float tube around? Any known hatches happening?

Any info on where I might do some successful float tubing would be greatly appreciated. The closer to DAvis the better but I am willing to drive a good distance as well.

Doyle

nightgoat
05-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Welcome aboard Doyle! I don't know much (anything) about Davis of Frenchman, but I'm sure you'll get some help here shortly.

And congrats on being #599 on the best fishing BB on the internet :D

J.R.
05-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Yes, welcome to the Golden State. :D I also don't know anything about Frenchmen, and the only thing I know about Davis is that it is full of pike and it is know for it's damselflies, I think.

Darian
05-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Welcome to the BB community. I'm not a regular at Davis but do know that it was reported that most of the snow at Davis has melted and that fishing for sizeable Trout and Northern Pike is available, now. Watch out for special reg's that apply to catching Pike.

There're a couple of sources of info for that area. One is the Reno Fly Shop (www.renoflyshop.com) and the other is Mountain Hardware in Truckee. Don't know if Mountain Hardware has a website, tho. Another source is a second location for the Reno Fly Shop in Truckee. Can't recall the name of it tho it appears on the website. 8) 8) Also, if you click on this sites Links, above, you might find a guide named Don Rotsma who works on Davis Lake. I'd think that Frenchman's Reservoir will be in similar shape to Davis.... No Pike, tho.

Good luck :D :D :D

bigtj
05-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Doyle,

Access is really good at Frenchman right now. There are a ton of places to float tube. I like Snollygaster point, do a web search for a map of frenchman you can find it. Another good spot would be at the inlet. Frechman for me usually = more, smaller fish; davis fewer but bigger fish. As of a couple weeks ago the west side of Davis wasn't accessible by car so you had to fish the east side of the lake which isn't as conducive to fly fishing.

For now princes, copper johns, hare's ear, bigger chironomids under and indicator are the way to go. Once the damsels start going end of may early june stipping damsels in the morning can be lights out on both lakes.

You should definitely look into fishing the american, feather, yuba and lower sac for trout and steelhead. And do some driving to check out the Trinity and Kalamath. You will be surprised how good the steelhead and trout fishing is in CA.

Best of luck to you.

-John