PDA

View Full Version : Lower Sac

koffler
05-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Anyone have a recent report from the lower sac? The flows have been dropping (down to 6000 cfs as of tomorrrow) and was going to head up in the next few days to drift.

matooka
05-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Go for it! From Posse to Bonnyview it should be awesome. Clarity isn't optimum, but this is to your advantage in low flows. Egg patterns and May flies in the morning.....and caddis nymphs in the afternoon. Below Bonnyview with E.C. caddis dries, olive #14 will do the trick for the evening. Good Luck!

Matooka

koffler
05-05-2006, 09:41 AM
Took the day off yesterday and hit the lower sac - it fished pretty well. I didn't have the #'s like Barry mentioned in another post but then again I'm not on the river every day either. I fished from around 9:30 to 4:00 and floated from posse to bonny - had around 12 fish to hand and missed at least that many on the grab. Most fish took a micro may or a small green caddis. Going to try and hit it one more time before the flows go up again.

FishyMe
05-05-2006, 10:21 AM
where is lower sac?? is that in redding??? where in reference is it to sacramento?

koffler
05-05-2006, 10:39 AM
The lower sac is the tailwater below keswick dam - it's flows through Redding and essentially flows all the way to the delta. The first 25 miles below the dam is the prime trout water and there are a variety of put-in/take-out points throughout this section. In Red Bluff there is another large dam and shad/striper fishing in that section can be good as well.

FishyMe
05-05-2006, 10:57 AM
wow..so its a few hours from sac itself..... darn..i wanted to try new waters.. but when i do want to, no one to go fly fishing with....

CW
05-18-2006, 03:41 PM
I drifted the Lower Sac Thu of last week - sucker spawn, and then almost any dropper variety was working, but up higher, mayflies worked better, the lower you drifted, the better smaller caddis worked - those fish see so many poopahs, maybe a smaller tan Morrish super poopah? Clarity decent - at least 5 feet - flows were around 14K. Tons of midge shucks all over. Saw maybe 3 fish up top all day - most of the fish we landed were around 12" and we did well, but very few larger fish. Saw some other questions about the PIT - very high and off-colored - if you have the balls and nothing better to do, I guess, put on your 4 BBs and dark patterns.