PDA

View Full Version : Smash and Grab on the American River

leo licastro
05-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Just wanted let everyone know that there have been a number of cars that have been broken into along the american river accesses. Today was out working on my spey casting and they busted my window with a large rock and helped me clean out my center console. The park ranger that took the report said over the last couple of days there has been numerous thefts. Even one of the rangers had their car broken into yesterday. Leo Licastro

Grub67
05-03-2006, 07:29 AM
When are they going to do something about this. It's starting to get out of hand. Did this happen at the Watt Ave section? I mean are we going to have to have someone hang out at your vehicle so you can get some casting in or fishing done. It would be nice if they would mount some cameras under the bridge or something. I can't risk having my car broken into just to do some fishing and to top it off, you paid to have it done to you :( Sorry about your losses.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-03-2006, 10:23 AM
It happens everywhere now.

We have had it happen in our parking lot at the shop over the past years in the daytime.

This happens at trail heads where backpackers and hikers leave there cars parked.

We have too many people out of work. This promotes crime.

I am not sure what to do?

What about actually having nothing in your car and leaving it unlocked?

Surely don't have anything inside the car where they can see it.

This problem did not exist in California 40 years ago.

We never locked our cars or our house when I was a youngster in Sacramento. We left our campsite for half the day and went to the beach in Santa Cruz. Never thought about anyone stealing our stuff then.

Our society is slipping.

bigtj
05-03-2006, 12:17 PM
The same thing has been happening in my neighborhood in Reno which is in a very nice part of town away from any crime and with a lot of people around to keep an eye on things. So it's not just by the river it's everywhere. Similar posts have come up on Westfly and Washington fly fishing, it's going on just about everywhere.

I think the problem is drugs. So many people are getting hopped up on methamphetamines and stealing to support their drug habit. It is indeed a major social problem. It is so rampant the cops won't do anything about it, they can't control it. It will be up to citizens to take preventive action to keep from becoming victims.

A solution I have found is to leave the doors unlocked. I use something to prevent theft of the vecicle, like a transmission lock, and leave nothing in the car for them to take. A hidden camera is a deterrent as well. I may even resort to putting a note in the window to that effect saying "hey, I know you are going to try to steal stuff, only I didn't leave anything in the car, and I have a hidden camera to record you in the act, plus a vehicle tracking device". Even if you don't have these things most crooks are dumb enough to believe it and will move on to an easier target.

Be sure not to leave anything with your address and a garage door opener. These punks are stealing garage door openers then coming in when you're gone and stealing stuff out of your house. I have a friend who lost several expensive mountain bikes this way.

When my car got broken into a couple weeks ago the only thing they got was a spare key, fortunately it is to a car we don't have any more but they were looking to gain access to my house or other vehicles.

I will say that most of the crime seems to be located around major population centers or places where a lot of cars are parked regularly. It is still very frustrating I can't understand why people disrespect each other by taking things. It's a real shame.

-John