PDA

View Full Version : Great Opening Day !!!!

Chris Gearhart
04-30-2006, 09:18 AM
I had one of the best openers I can remember yesterday. The funny thing is I was fishing water that was already open. I decided just to satisfy my curiosity, I woiuld go check out the Lower Yuba. When I got there the water was definetly high but looked like there could be plenty of opportunity to fish edges. I fooled arouind by the bridge for awhile then while taking a break at the truck around 10:00, I decided to check the flows on the Feather. Just like I thought they brought them down to the normal 600 cfs. I called the fly shop up there to make sure and the guy in the shop was going nuts. He said the fishing should be really good and I would probably be alone on the river. He was right on both counts. I fished one riffle for 4-5 hours and I dont know how many fish I cought!!!!The largest one I never landed but since It went airborne 3 times I got a pretty good look at it and would guess in the 24-25 inch range. THe smallest was 14 inch but no one told him he was small !! The rest were 18-20 inch.
All by myself, wet wading, lots of nice fish, that was a grreat opener!!!

Chris P.S. It sure felt good to end the "dry spell"[/b]

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-30-2006, 09:44 AM
Where were you fishing?

Below the fish hatchery on the lower Feather River?

Chris Gearhart
04-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Bill, I was on the lowere Feather in the low flow. What a great day. My wrist and forearm were actually getting fatigued, awsome !!!!

Chris

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-30-2006, 06:40 PM
I have heard that it is a great, almost year round fishery.